Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Level 10

Re: Roku's USB to ESP8266 NodeMCU to Get '/query/...'

You might want to post in the developer forum.  You don't have to be a developer.  You may be more likely to get help with javascript there.  If ECP commands are working and you're able to fetch /query/apps in a browser, I'd guess it has something to do with the code.  Also, as atc98092 said, double check the IP address you're using.  It should be 192.168.1.123:8060.

-JT
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I'm only mentioning the IP address because the range you are showing isn't considered a private IP address, and Roku has remote access limitations when it thinks it's on a public network. If your router is truly assigning the IP address range of 192.186.1.x, it's configured incorrectly for a private network. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

In one post he says 192.186 and in another he says 192.168. I'm guessing just a typo (twice) in the first post.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
gregoryscott
Level 7

Thanks again.

As suggested I did move this thread to theDevelopers Forum.

But in code I use "192.168.1.123" ...as I said, I am a bit dyslexic although my persistence pushes through.

atc98092[/color],
I'm only mentioning the IP address because the range you are showing isn't considered a private IP address, and Roku has remote access limitations when it thinks it's on a public network. If your router is truly assigning the IP address range of 192.186.1.x, it's configured incorrectly for a private network.

Wow!  I had no idea of such; this may just be my problem. See, I just had to replace my old WiFi router [ R.I.P. ] with a new one - Linksys MAX-STREAM AC5400 MU-MIMO, and I set it up with defaults. Perhaps you may have some hints as how to change the settings to be compliant with the Roku's demands?

Thanks for the hint and maybe help too.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Wow indeed! That is some mighty router. It's the first one I've ever seen with more than 4 Ethernet ports. Nice! Based on the documentation I found, if you are using its default settings it should be using the address range 192.168.1.x, so you're good there. Roku shouldn't be thinking it's a public network.
Linksys doesn't seem to have a comprehensive manual available, so I can't say for sure what options are available in the interface. But you want to ensure that wireless connected devices are allowed access to your local network. Some routers have a setting to only let wireless devices reach the Internet, but nothing within the network. I can't say how they might have such a setting labeled. But if it has a guest wireless network enabled, that too would block access to your internal network, so you can check that as well.
But the fact you can get the expected response from a web browser on your network would indicate there's no setting problem with the Roku or your network. Why it doesn't work via your Javascript, I can't help there. What exactly is a ESP8266 nodeMCU? How is it running the script? 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
What exactly is a ESP8266 nodeMCU?

It is an IoT device and is sold on i.e. Amazon.
If it used to work and he get a browser response from the Roku box, then the connection is probably timed out by the Roku box closing it.
0 Kudos
gregoryscott
Level 7

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Copy that, thanks!
Dan
0 Kudos