Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gregoryscott
Level 7

Roku's USB to ESP8266 NodeMCU to Get '/query/...'

I added an ESP8266 nodeMCU for TV and SoundBar IR commands. It also provides a LAN server delivering an HTML/javascript based remote controller to my devices - computer, tablets and mobile phones. 

I use this same remote setup for both a Roku4 w/ an old Dynex (dumb) TV as well as a newer TCL Roku Smart TV w/ soundbar.

Question is, can I access Roku data as used to be provided by ECP queries like '/query/apps' and '/query/active-app' via the Roku's USB port? ...if not, what is required to accomplish this end?
0 Kudos
17 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: Roku's USB to ESP8266 NodeMCU to Get '/query/...'

"gregoryscott" wrote:
can I access Roku data as used to be provided by ECP queries like '/query/apps' and '/query/active-app' via the Roku's USB port?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  Are you saying that previously you could access the data via the USB port and you can't now?  If so, I didn't know that was ever possible.  If you're asking if there's anyway to access it now via the USB port, I'd have to ask why would you want that?  The only way I know of to access the data is via TCP on port 8060 (e.g., http://<device IP>:8060/query/apps). Surely you can access it that way, no?

-JT
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"gregoryscott" wrote:
Question is, can I access Roku data as used to be provided by ECP queries like '/query/apps' and '/query/active-app' via the Roku's USB port? ...if not, what is required to accomplish this end?

The USB port is for attaching a storage device containing media for playback, nothing more. It has no other function, and cannot be altered to do anything else. What renojim offered is the only method of retrieving information from a Roku. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gregoryscott
Level 7

Thank you both for your responses.

Sorry for the confusion renojim. No, I have never used the USB port for data access. What I meant was that I used to use javascript from my web page to access the data from ‘atc98092’s post now I know that I can not.

So I back to the same question, how else can I make this work again? 

Thank you both again for your time and responses.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"gregoryscott" wrote:
So I back to the same question, how else can I make this work again?

Roku has "recently" limited developer tools etc so this could have been shut off with that change as well. Not saying that you should but you could enroll in the developer program.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I just tried http://192.168.0.XX:8060/query/apps and received a response from my Ultra. Also tried it on one of my Roku TVs that isn't even turned on (in standby) and it too returned the query. The TV has developer mode enabled, but I don't remember doing that with the Ultra. Are you certain there isn't something amiss with your script? I'm assuming you made a typo with the second octet being 186 instead of 168. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
renojim
Level 10

It seems unlikely that Roku would block access to /query/apps since isn't that how all remote control apps get the list of installed channels/apps?  They'd all stop functioning.

gregoryscott, are your ESP8266 nodeMCU and Roku on the same network? For example, you said your Roku's IP is 192.168.1.xxx. Is your ESP8266 nodeMCU at 192.168.1.yyy?

-JT
0 Kudos
gregoryscott
Level 7

Again thanks for the replies.  I've been without internet access since I last posted, argh!

I do get a proper response with http://192.186.1.xxx:8060/query/apps[/url:26sarm7z]'http://192.186.1.xxx:8060/query/apps[/url:26sarm... set as the form's action, to no avail.[/color][/font]

Perhaps someone has a simple working example; HTMLw/ the correct javascript that they are willing to share with ma as a kick start.

As for the development program, it seems way over my head as I am too old to learn something radically new to me today. ...well not really, but I do forget more than I remember these days.

Again thanks to all.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Again, I question your IP address in your example. I realize you X'd out the last octal, but unless your network is very non-standard it should be 192.168.xxx.xxx. If that's a copy from your javascript, that might be your issue. 
Dan
0 Kudos
gregoryscott
Level 7

Please bear with me. I do not understand the issue w/ the "local WiFi" IP address.
It is given by my router as: '192.168.1.123' or whatever, so to use ECP it would be '192.186.1.123:8060' ...no?
I mean, as I said above, most ECP commands work fine, just not so with the 'query' command and I do not understand why.

atc98092 - Do  mean it should be '192.186.001.123' .eg. '192.168.001.123:8060'???
I appreciate your time and patience.

P.S. I am a bit dyslexic 186 should be 168 for sure. Sorry. It is in code.
0 Kudos