Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeSameCustomer
Level 7

Roku removed ALL seasons of Sesame Street on Nov. 1 (except 50 and 49)

Jump to solution

We had Roku since July of this year and are able to watch ALL Sesame Street seasons (we have YouTube TV and has HBO Max thru YouTube TV).
Sesame Street is NOT an HBO Max original, so as we understand that this is why we can access ALL Sesame Street seasons. However, on Nov. 1 2020, Roku decided to remove all seasons, except leaving seasons 50 and 49 without telling us. (Note: we can still access other seasons thru HBO Max app (not on TV), which is needed for MBO Max original series; Also, Roku offers other seasons but only 1 or 2 episodes per season which is useless)

This action is despicable, Roku doesn't even have the decency to send a notification (prior to Nov. 1 2020) to let their customers know that they are doing this, regardless if Roku has the option to change content without telling their customers.
Whatever issues Roku is having with HBO max, their customers should not suffer for it -- especially children and their working parents.
Roku should compensate their customers for the inconvenience and make it clear what they plan to do so we can decide ahead of time whether or not to stay with Roku.

Also, Roku support including email support is not available for this type of issue which really affects children and their working parents. This is NOT acceptable behavior for any U.S. company.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku removed ALL seasons of Sesame Street on Nov. 1 (except 50 and 49)

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about a channel's content availability, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Brichelson
Level 8

Jump to solution

I can not believe Roku removed the ability to watch Sesame Street on the HBO app.  Those shows are about the only thing that my autistic daughter watches.  No notice at all.  I have five Roku devices and now I’m feeling we made a huge mistake in investing in them.  It was bad enough that Roku and HBO can’t could come to an agreement and we lost HBO Go but now this.  And no you can’t watch HBO Max on Roku either!!!!

Harringtondaphn
Level 7

Jump to solution

We are also paying the same subscription fee for HBO on Roku so we should have access to what is on HBO with the normal subscription.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about a channel's content availability, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

Roku is NOT a cable subsitute.  At best it provides SOME apps, never all.of them all of the time.

If you are serious about streaming, do use at the very least 2 separate options from 2 different corporations.  I use Chromecast/Android TV from Google plus Roku's own Ultra and their Streaming Stick +.  I switch between the 2 companies as needed. 

You might choose 2, possibly more for your own situation.  I would not count out personal computers and/or tablets & smartphones.  Most are not aware that Streaming in of itself is very fragmented.  And those selfsame corporations know it very well & do take advantage of you if you are not vigelent. 

BloomNY
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just chatted with HBO support and from what I can decipher this was a move on HBO’s part to make us all mad at Roku and Fire TV. The rep just kept repeating that Sesame Street is EXCLUSIVE to HBO Max and I should get Chromecast or Airplay if I want to view the content. I just cancelled my HBO subscription as I don’t appreciate tactics like this. My kids will survive without Sesame Street until a solution presents itself that doesn’t involve buying more hardware. When I told the rep she was basically telling me to cancel my subscription her response was “you do what you need to do”. Great customer service there HBO. Stand strong Roku, don’t let them bully you. You have the market share. 

Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

I don't understand your position.  Why punish yourself (at least it appears to me) for other people's or corporation's decisions that you have no control over?  I think the rep from HBO support is right on.  I am NOT saying that you should not support what you believe is Roku's own choices and position on carrying HBO Max.  I AM saying liberate yourself and actively choose the programming and content that best suits you and your family via whatever means that carry these same content. 

Please continue to support Roku by KEEPING your already purchased Roku devices now and in future purchases.  Many people have or at least threatened to dump their Roku devices since earlier this year.  I think it's a poor decision on their parts as Roku does not make it's money through physical devices.  They make their money by subscriptions, tech licensing, and ads.  The devices are just a loss leader.  Nothing more.  If you take the rep's advice and buy another company's device, what of it?  You will still support Roku by still keeping their devices and replacing/upgrading in the future.

Think about it.

0 Kudos
SweetStrella
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just talked to HBO who informed me that Roku is intentionally blocking SS from their content. So, no matter what app you have, if you're using Roku you won’t be able to watch SS. Basically, this is a Roku problem, not an HBO problem. Here’s my solution, Roku can get their **bleep** together or I’ll not be using their products anymore.

0 Kudos
ALR
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I have a roku and a fire stick. I am not able to play Sesame Street on either one. I notified HBO the problem. They explained to me that they switched Sesame Street to HBO Max. They then preceded to tell me I needed a different device to be able to watch Sesame Street. I was not happy that HBO is trying to promote certain devices in order to watch their channel. I found PBS kids does stream some of Sesame Street for free.

0 Kudos
BloomNY
Level 7

Jump to solution

@SweetStrella wrote:

I just talked to HBO who informed me that Roku is intentionally blocking SS from their content. So, no matter what app you have, if you're using Roku you won’t be able to watch SS. Basically, this is a Roku problem, not an HBO problem. Here’s my solution, Roku can get their **bleep** together or I’ll not be using their products anymore.

That’s not accurate. It sounds like that rep you spoke with is misinformed. I can’t view Sesame Street via Roku OR Fire TV. HBO was clear that this content would only be viewable through the HBO Max app and not the traditional HBO app available on Roku and Fire TV.

0 Kudos