Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Level 13

Re: Roku removed ALL seasons of Sesame Street on Nov. 1 (except 50 and 49)

Jump to solution

When I was not able to place the Peacock TV App last July 15 and for 2 months afterwards on my own Roku devices, I did not worry.  My older Gen 2 Chromecast took care of the problem.  I watched Peacock right at it's launch.  And helped me understand that I DO NOT have to be limited just to Roku devices.  

This is not Roku bashing or trashing their devices.  I keep them all hooked up together on all the televisions in the house.  I don't understand why people are not getting it.  Or wrapping their heads around that you don't need to be dictated to indirectly.  Take matters in your own hand, people!  No one device or OS is the only way of accessing whatever you want.  There is no customer loyalty anymore.

0 Kudos
Brichelson
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes there are other devices that I could use to watch SS on including my iPad and other laptops.  It’s easy for those not in our situation to give out similar advice.  It’s taken my daughter with severe autism the better part of the last two years to learn how to navigate to SS with our ROKU.  She is almost there and instead of celebrating this achievement it now appears to have been precious wasted effort.  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@SweetStrella wrote:

I just talked to HBO who informed me that Roku is intentionally blocking SS from their content. So, no matter what app you have, if you're using Roku you won’t be able to watch SS. Basically, this is a Roku problem, not an HBO problem. Here’s my solution, Roku can get their **bleep** together or I’ll not be using their products anymore.

That's bull... Roku isn't blocking anything. HBO refuses to come to an agreement with Roku about providing HMO Max on Roku devices. We can all yell and scream about which party is in the wrong, but Roku isn't blocking anything. That was a decision by HBO to only make the content available in Max.

Since I don't subscribe to anything from HBO, or any other provider through Roku, I have no dog in this fight. I think both parties have some blame here, but I place most of it on HBO. Since Peacock was able to come to terms, it doesn't seem like Roku is impossible to deal with. And there are certainly many other providers that don't have a problem with Roku, including Amazon, which just happens to sell competing hardware. And since Amazon hasn't come to terms with HBO either, that really pushes me towards HBO being the problem child here. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Brichelson wrote:

Yes there are other devices that I could use to watch SS on including my iPad and other laptops.  It’s easy for those not in our situation to give out similar advice.  It’s taken my daughter with severe autism the better part of the last two years to learn how to navigate to SS with our ROKU.  She is almost there and instead of celebrating this achievement it now appears to have been precious wasted effort.  

My situation at home is not exactly like yours.  My mother is not autistic.  Her problem is she is super elderly at 92 years old.  She is illiterate, reading at the 3rd grade level.  She has difficulty understanding complicated electronics everyone else uses without a second thought.  Like personal computers, smartphones, and pushy salespeople who pushes those very devices.  Streaming Devices perplex and even scare her.  In my house, I made sure not to change out TV and electronic devices as much as possible.  Many times they become no longer available-like what you are experiencing with your daughter.  So my sister and I have to stand by with the remotes and become the human interface for mother.  Or she watches Over The Air broadcasts by herself when we are not around to control the television.  My mother seems to prefer old fashioned television over streaming as she learned to operate it herself.

Perhaps we are not exactly in your position, but being a teacher at one time and having a Mechanical Engineer sister with a mother who cannot function in the world, we do understan in the most important ways.

Domso75
Level 7

Shows disappeared while watching.

Jump to solution

I was watching Knight Rider and the Jefferson's when both shows just disappeared. I was watching them through Starz on Roku ( which is why purchased and subscribed to that channel). I was watching them when it happened. Can anyone tell me what happened?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Shows disappeared while watching.

Jump to solution

@Domso75 wrote:

I was watching Knight Rider and the Jefferson's when both shows just disappeared. I was watching them through Starz on Roku ( which is why purchased and subscribed to that channel). I was watching them when it happened. Can anyone tell me what happened?

You're off topic for this thread. You should create a new thread for your issue. Although it looks like the moderators might have merged your post, in which case ignore what I just said. But your issue is with Starz, so they are who you need to contact for assistance. Roku has no control over what is offered within any channel other than "The Roku Channel".

Dan

0 Kudos
Domso75
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. There are two Starz channels. One is just Starz and the other is " Starz on Roku". I don't have a Starz subscription just a Roku Starz subscription. How can I contact Starz?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I just looked in the channel store, and there's only one Starz channel. Is Starz on Roku inside "The Roku Channel"? Even inside TRC I don't see anything labeled Starz On Roku. I'm just trying to determine how you are accessing their content. 

Even if you are getting it through TRC, it appears you need a Starz subscription for the content. If it's through TRC, then the subscription would be through Roku. But they are not the content provider, Starz is. 

Since you say you don't have any sort of subscription to Starz, it's possible you were using what is called a private channel. Those channels sometimes provide content without permission (i.e. illegally) and Roku will yank them when discovered. If it was a private channel, you have no recourse, as private channels are unsupported by Roku and can be removed at any time if they are violating the Terms of Use. If you are getting it via a legal channel, the place to contact Starz is https://www.starz.com/us/en/ in the US. 

Dan

0 Kudos
npriddy
Level 7

Jump to solution

SAMSUNG TV APP WORKAROUND

So after discovering that the seasons were removed, I went YouTube TV on our Samsung TV app and found the same issue. So I went to cancel and a YouTube TV customer service rep explained that while you can access some content through YouTube TV still, you should be using the HBO Max app for accessing most content. It comes down to HBO just wanting you to directly use their app with whoever has license to it. Obviously Roku doesn't have this, but what does have the app is Samsung TV. So I connected the YouTubeTV account to an previous HBO Max account, you can create a new one also, we had and viola we can now watch all the seasons via Samsung's app of HBO Max. Know this work around isn't available for everyone, but hope it will help some folks.

0 Kudos
Swuirrel
Level 8

Jump to solution

HBO did this not ROKU.  HBO really messed up and started pulling the videos from everything but their HBO MAX app.  Problem is

1. HBO didn’t remove Sesame Street or didn’t know how their own app works or have anyone that knows how a cache works.  HBOs IT are not good.

2. Roku really messed up because they did not look into this in a timely manner. Any app that does this will tarnish their name as the hosting platform.

3. Roku doesn’t know or provide good error messages to identify this issue to customers.

0 Kudos