Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku region locked?

Hi, I purchased and set up my Roku stick while living in Greece. I have now moved permanently to the UK but I am unable to install any UK channels, e.g. BBC iPlayer, All4. Is there a way I can change my device's location?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 13

Re: Roku region locked?

@Rbosson wrote:

Hi, I purchased and set up my Roku stick while living in Greece. I have now moved permanently to the UK but I am unable to install any UK channels, e.g. BBC iPlayer, All4. Is there a way I can change my device's location?

I would recommend buying another Roku stick when moving between countries.

As far as I know, the location is built into the Roku model.  It does not appear to be something the consumer is intended to ever be able to change.  This is supposed to help Roku honor obligations to the entertainment industry for region control.  It could be a problem for Roku if the entertainment industry lost faith in the Roku platform.

However, it should also be noted that what WIFI is *NOT* exactly identical between countries.  The radio frequencies and broadcast power levels permitted for use by WIFI in one country may be out of compliance with another country.

The intended solution for both of those issues is to only use a Roku in the country it was purchased.

Some vendors may provide a trade-in discount (such as 3 USD off) towards a new media player based on sending them your old Roku stick.  You may want to contact Roku customer support to see if they can offer any similar sort of deal.

0 Kudos