Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Level 9

Roku problem using YouTube TV

"dantengwen" wrote:
The following problem does NOT occur when viewing YouTube TV on my PC ...
I'm watching a golf tournament on YouTube TV on my dumb TV using my Roku Ultra. I pause the tournament. Two hours later I come back and I'm no longer in YouTube TV. I go back to the Golf tournament and it is a mess. It's different every time - sometimes different content shows - sometimes the watched portion is truncated from the front. The solution is always to bounce the Roku unit and then everything is fine. If I pause it for less than an hour things work fine. What is wrong?

Roku won't stay in an app -- any app -- forever. Last time I tested (a year or so ago) it exited at around 100 minutes. Maybe 120. But between hour and a half and two hours. It's how Roku has always worked.

And, that's from standard (on-demand) content, not live content. So, if you're gonna be away for a bit, exit the app. Or it'll do it for you. And it may not remember where you are.

Oh, and did you realize you posted under Soundbridge?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Daviator
Level 7

Re: Roku problem using YouTube TV

YouTube TV has known issues with Roku. For me and others, there is a huge lag when trying to navigate throughout the app. Roku blames YouTube and YouTube blames Roku (3). YouTube claims to be working on the problems but so far I've seen no movement. 

I finally gave up and bought an Ultra. This solved my YouTube TV issue but after 4 days I'm now getting sporadic HDCP errors so I'm debating on returning the Ultra to Amazon. 
0 Kudos
EddieA
Level 7

Re: Roku problem using YouTube TV

"DBDukes" wrote:
Roku won't stay in an app -- any app -- forever. Last time I tested (a year or so ago) it exited at around 100 minutes. Maybe 120. But between hour and a half and two hours. It's how Roku has always worked.

Not my experience.  I use Plex mostly, and I can leave that at it's menu screen for days at a time and when I switch the TV back to the Roku it's still at the same Plex menu.  And I also remember Amazon being the same, but haven't done that for a number of months now.
Also if the Roku exits the app after 120 minutes, how do you ever watch anything for longer.  Shouldn't that just kick you out.
But I will agree that YouTube TV is one of the most inconsistent streams I run.  Sometimes the menu/stream pops up immediately.  Other times I have to hit another button on the remote to "wake it up".  Sometimes when it's buffering, there's the spinning circle, other times just a blank screen.  But the most annoying is the one the OP brings up, that pausing a live stream is hit and miss as to if it's still there when you come back to it.
Cheers.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku problem using YouTube TV

"EddieA" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
Roku won't stay in an app -- any app -- forever. Last time I tested (a year or so ago) it exited at around 100 minutes. Maybe 120. But between hour and a half and two hours. It's how Roku has always worked.

Not my experience.  I use Plex mostly, and I can leave that at it's menu screen for days at a time and when I switch the TV back to the Roku it's still at the same Plex menu.  And I also remember Amazon being the same, but haven't done that for a number of months now.
Also if the Roku exits the app after 120 minutes, how do you ever watch anything for longer.  Shouldn't that just kick you out.
But I will agree that YouTube TV is one of the most inconsistent streams I run.  Sometimes the menu/stream pops up immediately.  Other times I have to hit another button on the remote to "wake it up".  Sometimes when it's buffering, there's the spinning circle, other times just a blank screen.  But the most annoying is the one the OP brings up, that pausing a live stream is hit and miss as to if it's still there when you come back to it.
Cheers.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant just sitting. Not playing. Not streaming. 
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
EddieA
Level 7

Re: Roku problem using YouTube TV

"DBDukes" wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant just sitting. Not playing. Not streaming. 

Which is exactly the state Plex is in, for days at a time.
For YouTube TV, they know you have hit pause on a stream, so technically the app is still in a streaming state because you haven't gone back to a menu.  And I'm sure they could ping (or similar) to fool the Roku that it shouldn't force exit the app.
Cheers.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku problem using YouTube TV

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94604

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=117786
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos