Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku only working for some channels?

OK, so we keep our router off when we're not using it to minimize wifi signals. We've been doing this for a few years. Today I turned on the router. Neither the Internet on the computer nor the Roku worked.

I'd been dusting around the router and roku, so I fiddled with the cables. Didn't see anything obviously wrong, still nothing worked. Then I plugged the computer into the router with a CAT4 cable. It worked.

I unplugged the computer and plugged the Roku in with the CAT4 cable. (I did not expect this to work. A few years ago we had a lightning strike that fried the router and after that the Roku only worked over wifi.) As expected, it did not work. But then I noticed the computer (not physically connected) was working. OK, so wifi was working.

Went back to the Roku. Unplugged the Roku and plugged it back in. Went to check connection. Wireless and Internet connection are working great.

Tried some channels. Netflix works. Amazon Prime just goes through a bunch of screens in different languages saying how it wasn't connected. Playstation Vue said how they were going to discontinue the service so I could activate it (so I guess it forgot my connection but it's connected to the Internet?). The Roku Channel says "Network error: There is a problem connecting to the network. Please check your network settings." YouTube works. TED TV just freezes on the opening screen.... Not going through every channel, but suffice to to say some work and some don't.

So, I go to remove channels that don't work. Amazon Prime, Roku and TED all say they cannot be removed, tried again later. Well, I've tried many times. The Roku's just gone crazy.

I'd say the Roku's broken, but it's weird that it seemed to start with a problem with the wifi. Anyone know what's going on?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku only working for some channels?

Update: I tried going to Settings / System / System Restart. Now if I click on Amazon Prime, it says something about not connecting to the remote and then goes to the very beginning with the bouncing Roku words. Tried it again and it's back to the multilingual no-Internet message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Update: I also tried a network restart, didn't help. I'm guessing a factory reset might do the job? Hate to do that if there's another solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Now clicking on Animal Planet Go just turns off the entire Roku. Whatever. I guess I'll try a Factory Reset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

And so I tried a factory reset. Went through a bunch of set up stuff and it's at Activate your Roku player. It wants me to use a computer to put in a code, but it won't even let me get there. It pops up to "Activation issue", letting me:

Restart your Roku player (tried it, didn't work)

Restart setup (factor reset) (tried it, didn't work)

Cancel (briefly goes back to the screen where they give you a code for the computer, then pops back up to Activation Issue.

I'm guessing I need a new Roku? Any idea?

0 Kudos