Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joeylin
Level 7

Roku not going to allow youtube

I was going to buy another roku for my other room and one for my dads house but today I got an email from youtube that roku is not going to continue to allow youtube tv or youtube to be downloaded on the app anymore. If this is the final case I will have no choice but to buy a firestick or chromecast or something that does allow youtube tv and youtube as they are my main streaming channels. Just thought everyone should know this and roku needs to continue past contract with youtube if they want continued buyers.

2 REPLIES 2\
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku not going to allow youtube

Hi @Lakeside,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We encourage you to contact Google and urge them to reach an agreement to continue offering YouTube TV on Roku and to follow standard industry practices, pledging not to require access to sensitive search data or to manipulate search results.

For more information about Youtube Tv update on Roku, visit our Support page here: Update on YouTube TV channel on Roku | Official Roku Support

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

Thanks,

Mary

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku not going to allow youtube

What Google/YouTube did not tell you is that the carriage agreement between Google and Roku for the YouTubeTV app was about to expire (I think it HAS expired by now) and that Roku offered to extend the prior agreement, with no monetary changes.  Google declined this offer, demanding changes to the agreement requiring Roku to share search request information entered on Roku devices with Google and to give YouTube preferential placement when returning results. 

It is not Roku blocking extension of this agreement, but Google.  I urge you to let Google know you find these demands to be objectionable and support Roku in resisting them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."