Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku not adding country channels

Jump to solution

Hello Community 

I need your help with the following, i was setting up my brand new roku express, on my work computer that uses a VPN to connect to a USA server, i think this glitch my account thinking im USA based, when im actually living in Mexico and wont let me add streaming channels available in my country, i already turned off the VPN in my computer but it wont fix, it wont allow me to add these channels, any recommendation please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Roku not adding country channels

Jump to solution

Roku will not offer any support pertaining to VPN use, and discussing how to use a VPN is not permitted on this forum.

I'll try to answer within those boundaries. Roku devices themselves are not region locked. They will "work" anywhere. However, the vast majority of channels available on a Roku device are region dependent. There are three things that must be in alignment for a geo-dependent channel to work: the Roku user account must be based in that location, the channel must be authorized for that location, and your Roku must be connected to a network in that location. Using a VPN, either your Roku account or your Roku location is not matching one or more of those requirements. Your location is determined on what IP address the Roku server sees when you connect. A VPN can alter that location.

I will not discuss how to watch US content abroad. For your Roku to work in Mexico, you must create a Roku account while you are located there, and your Roku must be registered to that account. So with your VPN off, you must create a new Roku user account. You must then do a factory reset on your Roku and activate it with that user account. You can then watch whatever is available while located in Mexico. 

If you return to the US, you can again do a factory reset and put your Roku back on the US account and watch content available for the US. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

Roku will not offer any support pertaining to VPN use, and discussing how to use a VPN is not permitted on this forum.

I'll try to answer within those boundaries. Roku devices themselves are not region locked. They will "work" anywhere. However, the vast majority of channels available on a Roku device are region dependent. There are three things that must be in alignment for a geo-dependent channel to work: the Roku user account must be based in that location, the channel must be authorized for that location, and your Roku must be connected to a network in that location. Using a VPN, either your Roku account or your Roku location is not matching one or more of those requirements. Your location is determined on what IP address the Roku server sees when you connect. A VPN can alter that location.

I will not discuss how to watch US content abroad. For your Roku to work in Mexico, you must create a Roku account while you are located there, and your Roku must be registered to that account. So with your VPN off, you must create a new Roku user account. You must then do a factory reset on your Roku and activate it with that user account. You can then watch whatever is available while located in Mexico. 

If you return to the US, you can again do a factory reset and put your Roku back on the US account and watch content available for the US. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the support atc98092 i'never meant to use a VPN but due my line of work my work laptop is setup that way, i will do exactly what you suggest (delete my account ant fabrric reset) and create a new account on my personal laptop mexico based

Thanks and regards