Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmgregory
Reel Rookie

Re: Any thoughts on VidAngel

Jump to solution

Latest from VidAngel below.  It seems that Roku is not letting VidAngel officially into their platform, and now they’re dropping support for unofficial apps entirely.  So no more VidAngel on Roku.  They could be rejecting VidAngel’s app for legitimate technical reasons, or maybe they fear legal issues with the big content providers.

https://vidangelsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4423777885069-FAQ-for-VidAngel-Roku-users

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

I also am very disappointed about this. If Roku chooses not to support VidAngel I will choose not to every use Roku again and will never recommend it. Very disappointed that I will have to buy another device that will support all the apps I want. 

Jgm23333

Jump to solution

I can't believe they won't approve VidAngel, and I am very angry about it.  I have purchased and used 3 Roku devices, and they are all going in the trash after this.

MovieGuy90
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku's choice to kill VidAngel is shortsighted and alienates a large, and growing, population that appreciates the ability to tailor their viewing experience to their family.

I'm angry that I have to buy another device when Roku promised to be the hub of my entertainment center.  Maybe it's time for a new TV, made by a company that honors their customers instead of cutting them off.

Bad move Roku, seriously awful.

VidAngel not supported?? Why??

Jump to solution

Why is VidAngel not supported? I find it ridiculous as it is supported on almost all other platforms. Trying to lose customers? It’s working.
Can we please get VidAngel?  

Tags (1)
MovieGuy90
Reel Rookie

Re: Any thoughts on VidAngel

Jump to solution

VidAngel doesn't have the legal issues they had when they 1st launched.  They a wonderfully expansive library of movies and TV Shows ALL with the official blessing of the creator companies.  I think ROKU is going woke and deciding that what they think is more important than what their customers want.

I will keep watching VidAngel, but I won't be supporting ROKU anymore.

MovieGuy90
Reel Rookie

Re: VidAngel not supported?? Why??

Jump to solution

ROKU made the decision to kick VidAngel off their platform and piss off a huge section of their customer base.  Too bad, I used to like ROKU,.  Now?  not so much.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Just a point of clarification. Roku has not singled out VidAngel for deletion. They are removing all non-certified channels from all devices. This includes a large number of adult content as well. Basically, Roku is locking down their app support to only channels available within their certified channel store. It's pretty much identical to the way Apple controls access to the iOS and AppleTV platforms. 

As to why Roku won't certify VidAngel, that is puzzling. But I have trouble believing the developers were not told why it wouldn't pass certification. Roku is pretty open about their certification requirements. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
filmnikon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just contacted Roku support to confirm and ask for any work-arounds.  I was assured that "existing customers" are not affected.  They weren't 100% clear but it seems as though users with VidAngel installed will continue to be able to use the app.  If you were to purchase a new Roku, however, you would not be able to install the app.

Jump to solution

SO upset with Roku, I have 4 Roku's and was previously an Apple TV user. Switched because Vidangel told me their service works better on Roku. Roku was less expensive, that was a plus. When I made the switch to Roku, there was no app for YouTube TV due to their disputing with each other. Yes, there finally is one now, but Roku still doesn't have an app for YouTube Music. Add to that their move to dump Vidangel-- I'm very likely to find a replacement for Roku- this is a terrible way to do business.