Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warrenoh88

Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

We watch nost of our shows and movies through VidAngel due to wanting to filter out unwanted language and sex scenes.  I just got a note that VidAngel will no longer be supported on Roku.  We bought our Roku to be able to use this service, now it's obsolete.   Any other ideas, or do we just have to switch to a FireStick???  VidAngel said they will be launching a channel there.  VERY disappointed with Roku.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wraith1000
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

According to VidAngel's website: 

"We’ve submitted the VidAngel channel for review multiple times over the years, including as recently as the fall of 2021. Each time, Roku has declined to approve our channel without clarifying their position. That’s why users have had to “sideload” our app onto their Roku device rather than downloading it from the official store."

I don't know if someone from Roku looks at these forums or not, but if you don't approve VidAngel's app, I will NEVER buy another Roku device or do business with Roku again.  It's strange that the app is on Apple TV but not Roku. I would have expected Apple to have more of a problem with it than Roku.

Looks like Roku has grown too big for their own good and no longer cares about what their customer's want.

View solution in original post

362 REPLIES 362
Jschl

Any thoughts on VidAngel

Jump to solution

I've used Roku for nine years and really like it, so I bought a Roku TV. In the process of setting up channels Vidangel is no where to be found.

Why did Roku make thousands of channel / apps on available on their TV but not Vidangel?

The Vidangel channel has always worked well with Roku players I've used. I'm highly irritated with Roku for doing this. 

Tags (1)
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Any thoughts on VidAngel

Jump to solution

Thats VidAngel's decision to not support their Roku Channel.

Roku makes the platform not the Channels.

https://support.vidangel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045366413-How-Do-I-Watch-On-My-Roku-

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
scotty2541
Channel Surfer

VidAngel or The Chosen

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a unit that says model 3810.  It's the Stream Stick, which was a gift a few months ago, so it's rather recent.  And the firmware is updated.

I am trying to watch "The Chosen" which uses VidAngel.  I was instructed to install the app on my cell, and connect to Roku.  I tried...

My issue is that neither my cell phone, nor my tablet can connect.  Both android (9 and 6).  I have followed the directions I've seen linked here from another user.

The VidAngel app pops up a connect page, shows that it can see my Roku, but when I tap, it just shows the little TV with WiFi radio signals.  Not the device name.  It's empty.  Same with the app written by the people who produced the show "The Chosen".

So the cell/tablet app is not really seeing the Roku.  Just "something" that's there.

I set the Roku's "allow mobile..."  to permissive.  That had no affect.

The devices are all on the same network, within the same subnet.  All on the same wireless network.  But it will not communicate.

Alternately, I was told to try to install the non-certified "VidAngel" app directly onto my Roku.  So I followed the steps, and it never appeared, although the web page said it's done, and to do a software update in order to see it.  It's not there. It won't load it...
So, as a test, I selected another regular channel from the web page, and added it.   It appeared almost immediately on the device.

The people supporting VidAngel or the app to allow me to watch "The Chosen" have not been any help.  They tried, but their ideas are exhausted.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?  If so, how?

Any advice is appreciated.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: VidAngel or The Chosen

Jump to solution

@scotty2541 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Any thoughts on VidAngel

Jump to solution

There is a way! Download the app, choose what you want to watch with the app on your phone, and choose the option to stream to tv, then you can connect to Roku!

It is definitely an untraditional way of doing it, the only way to use it on the Roku is through your phone with the app.

0 Kudos
Tashatoo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a similar problem. The Chosen app was working perfectly. Then the app automatically updated. Since then when I go to connect Roku I'm taken to a screen telling me to install VidAngel. I have VidAngel and can get The Chosen on it, but it skips and misses some conversation. The app support people say they are working on it, but it still does not work. Very annoying. I just want the app to work with Roku!

FWBeekman

Jump to solution

Thanks for asking the question.  I am having the same issues.    I am glad it's not just me.   I have done everything they suggested as well. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @FWBeekman,

We appreciate your post.

Have you tried removing the channel and adding it back after you've restarted the device does not resolve the channel issue, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel support directly to report the issue and request additional support? Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on that channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
EFGDEG
Channel Surfer

Vidangel not on Roku

Jump to solution

Dear Roku and Roku community,
I bought a Roku streamstick+ to watch TheChosen on a beamer. Roku is one of the major recommended services to do so. When i connect via TheChosen App to my streamstick+ a window pops up telling me to add the vidangel channel to my Roku device first.

But when i search the channels in Roku i find no vidangel channel.
Can anybody give me a hint what's going wrong? TheChosen is one of the top 10 major TV series currently and Roku is one of four recommended ways to watch it.

Thank you for your answers

Tags (1)