Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmgz71
Level 7

Roku no longer plays video files from Netgear attached USB

Hello all, I am new hear.  I apologize if this topic has been discussed before.  Each case seems so specific and in most cases, it seems that the attached HD cant be found at all.  In my case it finds it - it just wont play it.

More details: I have 3 Rokus.  An Ultra, a Premier, and something else from 2017 that I cant remember.   The ultra is hooked up with Cat5e and the others are wifi connected. They previously would play video files from my WD 3 TB harddrive that is attached to my Netgear Nighthawk R6400.  Now, they can see the HD, they can navigate through the folder index, they can find the unique files.  They just dont play them.  It gets hung up on the loading screen and just stops.  A few months ago it played just fine.  My Samsung TV and my Sony blu-ray players can still play files on from this network HD just fine.

I have tried several different file formats on al the different Rokus and none of them work.  I am curious if there is some simple setting in my router menu that is messing this up.  I am not very router savvy, but I am willing to struggle through it if anyone has ideas. 

Thank you for your help!!
0 Kudos
12 Replies
speechles
Level 7

Re: Roku no longer plays video files from Netgear attached USB

Pretty sure all Roku models still have that 2TB/32bit limit on USB/SD.

You can use bigger drives, but the addressing of such will be limited to just 2TB. So any data stored past the 2TB line cannot be seen/used/consumed by the Roku.

So you may see your files, attempt to play them, but since they are spanned fragmented across sectors some of the data of these files will fall outside the 2TB area. This means that file may work up to a point, may not work at all or will play strange. The Roku may reboot playing them as it wraps addressing and accesses the wrong data. 
0 Kudos
dmgz71
Level 7

Interesting.  I will try another HD to see if it makes a difference and report back.  That kinda stinks.  2TB is not much these days.  I was considering upgrading the 3 I have.  Thanks again. 

I still wonder why it use to play it.  Maybe I was just lucky.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

@OP since your HD is attached to the Nighthawk I suspect you are using the DLNA server on the Nighthawk. Are you using RMP to access the DLNA server?
@speechles can you point me to the information regarding a 2TB limit?
rokudale
0 Kudos
dmgz71
Level 7

I am unfamiliar with RMP but I will take a look tonight.  Is that a setting that needs to be enable?
0 Kudos
dmgz71
Level 7

Sorry, I got it now - Roku Media Player.  Yes, that is what I was using to access the server.  I assume that DLNA is enabled, but like I said I honestly know very little about networking.  That is why I liked this router so much before - it just worked. 

I am wondering if a firmware update didnt maybe mess things up.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

RMP = Roku Media Player app. What app are you using to playback your local media?
0 Kudos
dmgz71
Level 7

Thanks.  RMP is what I am using. I never considered trying a different app.  Are there any you could suggest?
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

What is the firmware version on each of your Roku devices?
0 Kudos
dmgz71
Level 7

I will have to look tonight.  I assume that the Ultra and Premier should be up to date since they were bought during the black friday sale last fall. 
0 Kudos