Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyle_Vance
Level 7

Roku media player numeric sort option?

I recently got an external hard drive and put a bunch of files on it to be able to watch via my Roku media player. However when I checked it the video files they are not in the order I put them in?

Can a numeric sort option be added as an update to be able to play episodes of a show in order? I've tried sorting it z to a a to z and default and it's not in the order I put them on the drive. Do I have to simply title it 1 2 3 etc?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SanDan1213
Level 7

Re: Roku media player numeric sort option?

I have the same issue.  If you number them 1 2 3 etc.. it only works to number 9.

Once you reach 10 11 12 etc.. the order will read 1 , 10 , 11 ,12  etc then it will finally hit 2 3 4 and so on. 

they really need to add a numeric sorting.  thats the only way this will be fixed. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

You should number them 01, 02, 03... or even 001, 002, 003...

0 Kudos
SanDan1213
Level 7

I have tried that but it works the same as 1 2 3 4 and so on. Let’s say you have 20 items.   And you number 1-20 it will sort it 

01, 010, 011, 012 - 020, 02, 03, - 09

thats how it will show.  Having a number in front only works 1-9.  10 and beyond doesn’t sort correctly. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

You have to be consistent.  Either every name starts with 2 digits or it starts with 3 digits (i.e., 01, 02...10, 11.. or 001, 002, ... 010, 011...).  Don't mix 2 digits with 3 digits.

0 Kudos
Kyle_Vance
Level 7

@renojim wrote:

You have to be consistent.  Either every name starts with 2 digits or it starts with 3 digits (i.e., 01, 02...10, 11.. or 001, 002, ... 010, 011...).  Don't mix 2 digits with 3 digits.

I will try that the next time I get the chance to mess with my external drive. My computer died on me so it may be a while

If by some chance that works thanks for that but I still think they should add a numeric sort option to fix this issue

If I recall though I had labeled it like this

001 then when I get to 10 and above I always made sure I had three digits but it's like somebody else said even then once it gets to 10 through even further even after adding the 0 beforehand it throws it off from that point forward

0 Kudos
SanDan1213
Level 7

Hey Renojim, thanks so much. It did work. I just tried it a few hours ago and now every thing is in order. 

I just numbered my files by 2 digits 

01 -20 since I don’t have over 100 files I do t need the 3 digits. But once again text you much for the help really appreciate it. 
They should still add numeric sorting just so people won’t have to struggle with this issue. 

0 Kudos