Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Roku media player freeze when playing 4K HDR files

After the latest update (9.2.2) Roku Media Player can't open 4K HDR titles anymore. It tries to open them but freeze up and the tv (TCL R625) reboots.

This was not an issue before the latest update. 

I have tried everything from attempting known files that worked before to doing a complete factory reset, and nothing helps.

27 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku media player freeze when playing 4K HDR files

Are you trying to play your own Media files or stream?

If this is happening (and I suspect it is) on a particular Streaming Channel you

should contact them directly. You can try lowering the resolution to see if that helps

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

It is via the official Roku Media Player app with files being sent to it via an external USB drive. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

And otherwise it works fine.

I had success with FAT 32 filesystem

Are you using the newer USB type 3?

4K Video – H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV)

Thhese are the recommended file types.

The Media Player is finicky. Its not the update.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@RokuTannerD 

Yes it works fine with other files.

Only 4K HDR titles are the problem. They worked fine a month ago so I don't understand what the problem is now since it started after the latest firmware update. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

I could recommend a hardware update but thats can be costly.

I just Mirror everything over from one of my computers With a HDMI cable.

You can get very long ones.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@samoth84 

Thanks for reaching out.

Are you able to successfully play these files using the Plex media player channel?

Could you please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the TV's serial number from Settings>System>About, details about how you previously played these files including the media player channel you are using, and a link to a shared folder (Google Drive, DropBox, etc.) with an example video file in it that we can review and test with. Please also include an issue tracker report ID generated after the issue occurs. You can create one by pressing the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times on your remote. 

I'll follow up with you directly from there to assist you further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@samoth84 wrote:

@RokuTannerD 

Yes it works fine with other files.

Only 4K HDR titles are the problem. They worked fine a month ago so I don't understand what the problem is now since it started after the latest firmware update. 

I can concur with using a different device for local H.265/HDR content. If your media is from a ripped UHD Blu Ray, as mine are, the Roku simply can't keep up with the bitrate over Ethernet, and even over .11ac wireless you still might have issues. I cannot successfully watch my ripped UHD movies on any Roku device I have. 

However, I do have a number of 4K/HDR demo files, which are a low enough bitrate that I don't have any network bottleneck. It's been a week of so since I've played any of them, but my Roku is in use right now, so I'll try some when it's free. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

OK, I just tested several of my UHD/HDR files, and all will play. This includes some downloaded demo files which have a reasonably low bitrate of about 50 Mbps. These are in MP4, TS and MKV containers. I also started a couple of UHD/HDR movie rips, knowing that they will buffer constantly due to their bitrate of well over 100 Mbps. These too loaded and began playback without issue. My DLNA server does transcode the audio, but leaves the video untouched, and it triggers my TV into HDR mode. 

While I have access to the beta version of RMP, this test was conducted with the public released version. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 9

Odd. I am feeding the tv the files directly from an external HDD via the USB port on the tv. Never had any issues before the December update. 

0 Kudos