Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
howardg
Level 7

Roku media player can't display photos in correct orientation

I'm trying to show my photos on my LG HDTV using my Roku Streaming Stick+ and the media player app. Roku finds my photos on my Windows 7 desktop PC in the Windows Media Player and successfully shows them on screen, except that all photos are displayed in landscape mode, even those that were taken in portrait mode. I can find no setting to fix that. Is there a way to get the media player to understand the orientation in which the picture was taken?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: Roku media player can't display photos in correct orientation

Are you talking about Roku Media Player or some other?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
howardg
Level 7

Yes, the Roku Media Player:

0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

If not mistaken, the only thing you can change is sort order, and it displays pictures as they are. 
One thing people commonly find is that iphones embed an orientation setting into its pics, and you can turn your phone/ipad and change portrait/landscape. Problem is, most all other viewers display without seeing that setting, thus many sideways pictures and videos.
So,are these iphone pictures, per chance?
FZ
0 Kudos
howardg
Level 7

No, they are all taken with my digital mirrorless camera, a Sony A7Rii. I'm pretty sure there's an orientation setting in each photo because the camera and Photoshop/Lightroom have no trouble displaying them in the correct orientation.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

Modern cameras and phones can record information about the image in embedded EXIF (EXchangeable Image File) data - picture orientation is one such piece of EXIF data. Some image display programs read and use this EXIF information, many do not. In my experience, Roku's Media Player does not.

I have found it necessary to adjust the image files themselves so the pixel arrangement in the file agrees with the EXIF orientation. A web search for exif orientation utility should provide a number of programs you can use for this with your operating system. Try to find one that does lossless transformation to avoid reduction of image quality.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

I believe the freeware Irfanview does just that, allows edit or removal of that part of exif.
FZ
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

Yes, Irfanview has lossless image rotation capability, I use it myself.  It is an extremely capable and fairly easy to use image editor and is free for non-commercial use. But it has only been released for Windows.  .

Here's a list of applications that are supposed to do lossless jpeg image rotation.  Most are for Windows, but a few Mac and Unix/Linux ones are listed. http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
sodly0000
Level 7

I'm having this issue, too.  But how do I remove the orientation info from 1000 jpegs?  Is there a simple way to do this?  I am a novice at this.  Thx.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

"sodly0000" wrote:
I'm having this issue, too.  But how do I remove the orientation info from 1000 jpegs?  Is there a simple way to do this?  I am a novice at this.  Thx.

I believe that once you rotate them in Windows the orientation info is corrected. You can batch process them in Windows if you can view the thumbnail of each. Select those that all need rotated the same way (select with Ctrl) then right click and rotate left/right. Do this twice if they are inverted. 
FZ
0 Kudos