Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku keeps closing apps

I have had a problem today, when streaming videos on YouTube, hulu, or any app, after 10/15 minutes of using said app, my roku will go to the home screen? I have tried everything recommended and nothing seems to be working? I have tried unplugging everything, resetting my device, deleting apps, restarting my device. 

Model: 3930RW Roku Express

Serial #: X00400PGCDPP (S01329CGCDPP)

software version: 9.4.0 build 4200-AE

Issue ID: PP-512-856

17 REPLIES 17
Shan2uu
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku keeps closing apps

Having same problem and still no answer on what to do. No one to call about problem. Looks like a lost cause to me. I'm gone try for another month n hopefully will have a answer smh

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Shan2uu
Reel Rookie

I would click on the app (let's say YouTube app) and it would act like it's loading then go back to the home screen. So I rest my whole roku over and installed all apps back and still the same thing is going on. This time I tried the Netflix app and still so no rest this time because I don't want to rest put everything in again n over. Getting tired.

0 Kudos
Debmarpir
Reel Rookie

Daily the ID channel logs out. I have to log back out and back in to be able to see it at all. I have contacted Roku, then the ID channel. After 4 goes, they were unable to figure out why it does this and moved it up the channel (so I heard nothing since). If any of you figures out what the issue is, be great to know how to fix it. I am using the latest OS on my iMac but to be honest prefer watching iD on my iMac or iPhone than streaning on a TV with Roku; it doesn't make me log out, log in and fetch a code!

Also, these apps - like YouTube- should all hae the autoplay on/off option and our remotes should be backilt. It's a subpar experience.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Debmarpir wrote:

Daily the ID channel logs out. I have to log back out and back in to be able to see it at all. I have contacted Roku, then the ID channel. After 4 goes, they were unable to figure out why it does this and moved it up the channel (so I heard nothing since). If any of you figures out what the issue is, be great to know how to fix it. I am using the latest OS on my iMac but to be honest prefer watching iD on my iMac or iPhone than streaning on a TV with Roku; it doesn't make me log out, log in and fetch a code!

Also, these apps - like YouTube- should all hae the autoplay on/off option and our remotes should be backilt. It's a subpar experience.

Try uninstalling the ID app, RESTARTING the Roku, and re-installing the ID app and re-activating it.

I agree all apps should have settings including the ability to turn "autoplay" (in all its forms) on/off - however, for those that don't, you'll need to contact the app developer (Roku doesn't code other services' apps).

Backlit remotes would be a nice addition, you should provide that as feedback directly:  https://support.roku.com/contactus

As it happens, there is a forthcoming "Roku Voice Remote Pro" (that seems to be indefinitely delayed due to all sorts of technical issues), it may be backlit (I don't know all the tech specs for it, and it seems to also still be under some level of NDA).

Barring that, there are third party Roku-compatible (with limitations) remotes that are backlit, though I cant attest to any of them.

0 Kudos
Debmarpir
Reel Rookie

Wow, fast feedback, thank you! Perhaps shoulld have said but naturally have already uninstalled app more than once and reinstalled the app with restart and reactivated to no effect. It still needs reactivating the following day. My Mac devices all know I use Infinity and so "reboot" when I click on IDs app and go through a cycle where it loads Xfinity and then ID. But somehow thought Xfinity is the default still in Roku, it doesn't do the same in the app - just this app. The other apps are fine. I always wonder why it does the cycle everywhere twice?

I appreciate the other data and will give feedback re: a backlit remote. That would make a world of difference. Right now I tend to watch more on a Mac device simply because it's less trouble. I am not a big TV watcher - I did without cable 8 years and watched everything online until my Mom moved in and wanted TV - or I would probably still not have it. I tend to watch YouTube a lot online anyhow and they do have an option to turn off autoplay, a great relief. In case others don't know.

Happy watching...

0 Kudos
gearupgal
Reel Rookie

I haven't had that happen for quite awhile.  Found out it wasn't my roku player but my internet because of the drain during the first couple months of everyone bing watching in our area.   Check with your provider and see if that's the problem

0 Kudos
Souber10

I’m having the same exact problem and nothing seems to work. It’s driving me crazy and kind of upset I bought a roku to be honest.... hope I can figure it out 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Souber10

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos