Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Undress

Roku in Uruguay

I live in uruguay and brought the Roku Premiere. I’m trying to install some services but the only one available is Netflix. No HBO, No Disney+ No Amazon Prime are available to download. There’s anything I can do? Or I brought a totally useless device?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku in Uruguay

Hello @Undress

Thanks for the post.

Please be advised that Roku Player or TV can be activated on any Roku account, however, channel availability/access will vary from region to region. Channels that are currently available in any given region are certified for the Roku devices sold in that region.

For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about which Roku devices they support their channel (app) on in your current region.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Deon
Reel Rookie

"Channels that are currently available in any given region are certified for the Roku devices sold in that region." Hello. This is the issue, though. I also live in Uruguay and before I purchase, I would like to know which "channels" (streaming apps in any other language) are available in Uruguay. I would like to watch international sport, so would like to subscribe to Sky Sport via your "Now TV" channel. Where can we get a list of apps/channels available in Uruguay? Surely you don't expect us to approach each service provider individually to check? Please be more helpful. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Deon,

We appreciate your post.

I understand that you want to know how you can access channels like Sky Sports through Now TV in your region.

Currently, Roku players are not officially marketed or sold to Uruguay, but your Roku player should work fine in any country.

In addition, please be aware that channels are developed by each service provider themselves. You'll want to contact Now TV support to see if they have any plans to develop and offer a channel for their service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Deon
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary

Thanks for your response. So, basically, Roku cannot tell me which channels/apps will be available for me if I purchase, for instance, a Roku Streaming Stick+ in Uruguay?

Thanks,

Deon

Rodrigo_Uruguay
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku in Uruguay [one year after]

@DeonAfter one year the situation remains unchanged. I've brought a roku ultra and Netflix is the only important stream service available (tried Amazon, HBO MAX, disney+, etc.).

Dont know what to do other than store the roku in a shelve and trying again next year.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Rodrigo_Uruguay 

Roku is sold (and supported) in 17 countries. Uruguay is not one of them.

Roku has no official sales outlet in Uruguay, meaning it's not supported there. Having said that, Roku does not stop any app from working there. It's up to the app developer to determine where an app is supported. If the app developer chooses to support its Roku app there, then it will work. If they choose to not support their Roku app there, then it won't work. Totally up to the app developer. Roku allows any app to work anywhere, but the actual decision is up to the app developer.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Rodrigo_Uruguay
Binge Watcher

Thank you @DBDukes  for the answer. I read you and believe you. The problem is that then, it means that [ALL] the streams services support (HBO MAX, Apple, Disney+, etc) are either misinformed or outright lying and thats hard to believe too.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Rodrigo_Uruguay 

I would suggest the support people you have spoken with at those services are not privy to the inner workings of the technical aspect of things. And it is possible that a contract with Roku could be worded to only have the app in certain locations. But the fact remains that the thing that physically causes an app to work or not work in a location, or on a device, is completely driven by the developer.

BBC, for instance, is notorious for picking and choosing which devices to support. They update their code to only work on devices that are sold in the UK. Other UK developers are not as stringent. That means you could bring an Ultra (not sold in UK) to the UK and have it run many apps there, but BBC won't, because BBC has coded to only work on certain devices, even though the Ultra is very well capable of running the BBC app.

I also suspect that if you called BBC support, the people there would likely say Roku won't let it work. They aren't trying to mislead, but rather they don't understand that their own technical team could make it work.

This is probably what's happening in the situation you're encountering. The CSRs are probably telling you what they think, based on how they are trained and what they know.

I don't work for Roku, but have learned a bit about how they do things. Others that have built apps for Roku can tell you the same thing. Roku will not usually be as direct about it, as they are trained to be diplomatic in how they respond to things. I have no such restrictions or requirements on me, and will get straight to the heart of the matter. It's the app developer. If it was Roku, I'd say so.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Rodrigo_Uruguay
Binge Watcher

I really appreciate the time and the answer. May i have your permission to forward your post to support of HBO MAX?. I fell link i'm between two companies whom i've paid money and not getting a straightforward answer as where the problem is.

Thank you again. The community here is for now, the only good thing that hasn't disappointed me about getting a roku.

0 Kudos