Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roku in Belgium : No App for IOS, no Disney +, No Prime...so what's the point ?

I just bought the Roku Premiere, sold on the Belgian market. But the thing is, after installation, I discover that the access is only available for Netflix, and no other streaming providers like Disney + or Amazon Prime.

Moreover, the Roku IOS application that is supposed to help us manipulate the Roku Premiere is simply not available for our geographical area.

It should be noted that most TV providers in Belgium give access to Netflix on their boxes. So it was for the other platforms that I made this purchase. At a price of almost 50€, I discover that this Roku Premiere is obsolete.

Have you been able to get a support from the Roku company for the Europeans? I think it is interesting for a company to enter a new market, but the MVP must be adapted to that market.

On my side, without any answer from Roku, I will try to get a reimbursement and will warn every Belgian citizens on plateform like amazon.fr, not to buy this device if they want to use it that way (post edited). 

6 REPLIES 6\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku in Belgium : No App for IOS, no Disney +, No Prime...so what's the point ?

Roku has no control over what providers are available in what countries. Providers such as Disney and Amazon are the only ones that can enable their channels on Roku devices in your area. In some cases (such as Amazon), they may not have the rights to stream content in your location, other than what they themselves own (Amazon Original Content). For Disney, they might still have legacy agreements with other providers to stream Disney content, so they can't stream it themselves in that location.

In any event, it's those companies you have to ask about supporting Roku devices in your country. As to what's the point of using a Roku there, you might explore the Channel Store on your device and see what might currently be available. There might be more content than you realize. Some might be ad supported, but in most of those cases that means you don't pay anything to watch them. 

Warning users on a platform like Amazon.fr might be doing a disservice to others. While you may have issues in Belgium, many of those channels might be available in France, or other EU locations. Don't base the restrictions you see in your country as applicable to the entire EU, or any other geographical location.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Roku in Belgium : No App for IOS, no Disney +, No Prime...so what's the point ?

And what about the official Roku app not available in Belgium. Do you have an answer for that or do I have to contact myself Apple store ? 

Strega
Level 16

Many years ago, I came close to paying about $900 for a VCR that could play PAL and SECAM tapes back to a NTSC TV.  With that VCR, I could have played tapes back from all over the world.  Of course, I would have had to figure out where to buy the tapes too, and they would have cost me $40-100 each.  I decided not to do it.  Back then (1990ish) the internet existed but there was no Amazon.de or similar to buy those tapes from so I decided it was a lot of money for a few hours of hard-to-find amusement.  (By the way, according to an inflation calculator, you should double those numbers to get to current prices.) 

Watching videos from other countries often involves some challenge and/or expense.  It gets easier all the time, though. These days an entire Roku costs less than a replacement remote or a tape once did.  When buying a Roku, I do recommend going to roku.com, and going to the lower right corner, clicking the country selector and seeing if your country is on the list.  If it's not (As Belgium is not), then I wouldn't expect too much, but Rokus are so cheap and tiny, I might experiment anyway.

0 Kudos
atc98092

No, there's a simple answer about The Roku Channel. Roku has only licensed that content for streaming in the US and Canada. To offer that content in other locations requires a separate licensing agreement, and lots more money. And depending on who owns the content, it might be impossible to get permission to stream it in other locations. Roku can't simply stream the content anywhere they want. It's all controlled by licensing agreements. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@atc98092  no no it was not Roku Channel, but the app to control from your smartphone.

For answer, if anyone need the info, Dinsey+ confirm they are not on Roku for Belgium and it's not the plan to be soon. They suggest to us Amazon fire stick or Chromecast. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Anonymous wrote:

@atc98092  no no it was not Roku Channel, but the app to control from your smartphone.

For answer, if anyone need the info, Disney+ confirm they are not on Roku for Belgium and it's not the plan to be soon. They suggest to us Amazon fire stick or Chromecast. 

Well, that's a decision made by Disney. It seems strange if they made it available on other platforms, but as @Strega mentioned the only EU countries that Roku officially supports is UK and France, so that's likely why Disney doesn't feel the need to make it available either. And if Belgium isn't officially supported, that would explain why the app isn't available either.

As to why Roku isn't supported in more countries, that's a question that only Roku can answer, and you'll never get that answered in this forum. Roku offers very little in the way of email support, but their mailing address is listed on their web site: https://www.roku.com/about/contact

Dan

0 Kudos