Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imcdona
Binge Watcher

Roku exits app and returns to the home screen when idle

Lately I've noticed that my Roku has started returning to the home screen after a certain period of inactivity. When I open an app on the Roku I expect that app to be open regardless of how long my Roku has been idle.

This is very frustrating. Why was this change made? How can I return my Roku to a proper working state where it doesn't get to decide when to exit an app? It's my choice to exit an app, not yours so stop it already.
7 REPLIES 7
Elijah_Baley
Visitor

Re: Roku exits app and returns to the home screen when idle

It was done because Roku wants to force you to the main screen. It is a choice Roku made something like 6 months ago.

I "Think" that developers are now responsible to implement the auto exit and apps that override the auto exit are not approved.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
imcdona
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the info. But WHY are they forcing the Roku to the home screen? There has to be a reason.

Is it technical?
Do they want to force users to see more ads?
Are they under the mistaken impression that users have been clamoring for the "Exit app and return to the home screen even though the user didn't press the home button" feature?
bvermilion
Visitor

Sounds like a memory management technique. If an App is left in the foreground for a long time, less resources or available to do other system things, like download and apply software updates etc.
Elijah_Baley
Visitor

"imcdona" wrote:
Thanks for the info. But WHY are they forcing the Roku to the home screen? There has to be a reason.

Is it technical?
Do they want to force users to see more ads?
Are they under the mistaken impression that users have been clamoring for the "Exit app and return to the home screen even though the user didn't press the home button" feature?

Actually Roku wants idle Rokus to be at the home scree to force the viewing of ads.
Also there has been some clamor for a forced return to the home screen but those wanting that mainly want it to stop streaming and that would mean the app was active and therefore would not exit. That is many people think they want the auto exit but what this implementation does is not really what they want.
There really is no valid technical reason for this because the Roku now does download app updates even if an app is active.
There are several reasons I am using my Shield instead of my Roku more and more and this is just one of them. Even my preference for the ESPN and Sling apps on the Roku is decreasing as the providers have made several improvements on the Shield and there has been little improvement on the Roku.
This stupid force on idle of a return to the main screen is just another way Roku has shown indifference to the needs/desires of the users in favor of what they want to do. In fact I would say the indifference is now very close to contempt.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
GoRichard
Channel Surfer

I went from a setup of 12 Rokus (in the different homes)... to just 4 now. This being one of their most annoying forced down your throat bull, all to force advertisement.
1) My main purpose to use Roku was to avoid forced ads
2) the main ad to buy a Roku on the Roku  is a big miss.

3) this is no longer kids friendly, touching the remote constantly open Newsy, WHY ? nobody wants that on their own TV much less their childrens. It open the door to very in appropriate things for a 3 year old.

4) this has also made this a very sluggish OS an none-responsive 40% of the time when pressing buttons on the main screen.
It's time to spend money on better options that serve the owners.

Knight9

I just bought and Apple TV because of this **bleep**. So annoying that it exits to Home Screen AND does not maintain the state of the app it auto quit. I pause a YouTube video and then it goes to home and I have find the **bleep** video again. 

used to love Roku, this has made it Unusable for me. 

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @Knight9

We're here to help!

Firstly, could you tell us more about the issue you're experiencing? Does the app always close out whenever you pause a video? Please let us know as well if the same problem occurs on other channels installed on your Roku device or just YouTube.

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos