Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Roku channel will not play programming after local power outage

Jump to solution

So you tried every single show, movie and live tv? I honestly never watch or use the Roku channel. But other channels such as Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max and Hulu work just fine? Basically you cannot watch anything on the Roku channel correct? Have you tried other devices? If you make a whole new account the only way to activate that account is to do a factory reset on your Roku. That means setting it all back up again 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@martyepp 

So, to briefly recap...

Following a power outage, Roku Channel will not play on any of your Roku devices, nor on a Web browser.

Got one last check. On your phone, using cellular not WiFi, launch The Roku Channel but do not log in. Then try to play something.

If it plays, log in and see if it still plays.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

martyepp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK, I'm relaxed now.;)  I'll start from the beginning.  I have a Roku TV in my bedroom and a smart TV with a Roku Express 4K+ in my living room.  I was watching an episode of Medium yesterday afternoon on the living room TV when we experienced a brief power outage in the neighborhood.  I don't remember exactly how I restarted the TV and got back to the program I was watching, but when I attempted to resume watching, the program would start to load and then revert back to the previous screen.  I went into the bedroom to attempt to watch the program on the Roku TV, only to have the same thing happen there.

The issue is only with the Roku Channel.  I cannot watch any program on the channel.  All other channels that I normally watch on either device works fine.  I have tried all sorts of rebooting exercises prescribed, checked network connections, unloaded and reloaded the channel-all to no avail. 

I have attempted to watch the Roku Channel on my deskstop computer and I get the error message "An error occurred loading this page-Error:451 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The error has nothing to do with Roku. Are you using an VPN? You didn’t mention what shows or movies you tried. Does the Roku Channel live tv work? What about playing Heartbreak Ridge?

451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons

The HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons client error response code indicates that the user requested a resource that is not available due to legal reasons, such as a web page for which a legal action has been issued.

0 Kudos
martyepp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It does play on my cell phone, using cellular, before and after signing in.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@martyepp 

Are you using a VPN on your Wifi network? PiHole? Anything that messes with DNS?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
martyepp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have tried other programs, but not Heartbreak Ridge or Live TV.

Sorry, I don't know if I'm using VPN.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You said you can’t watch anything on the Roku channel but I gave you options. I think DB is on to something. When you had a power outage something in your modem or router settings have changed. You can try doing a factory reset on your modem and router. It’s not a problem with your Roku since other channels work. What other channels do you have on your Roku?

0 Kudos
martyepp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I the Roku Express 4K+ streaming player a VPN?  I have that on my living room tv.  My bedroom tv is a Roku TV.  I'm not familiar with a PiHole, and I'm not sure how DNS is effected.  Sorry, I'm not as tech savvy as I would like to be

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@martyepp wrote:

... Sorry, I don't know if I'm using VPN.

Is someone else managing your network or installing devices? Your phone using your cellular service is able to get through. Even when you're signed in. That rules out your Roku account as a problem.

On your Roku and Web browser, both using your local network, you are unable to access. That smacks of a disruption on that network.

Tell you what, if you turn on your phone hotspot, then connect your Roku to it, I suspect you'll be able to stream Roku Channel.

Now, this isn't to say there's a VPN, PiHole, or some other DNS-screwing system. It could be that the outage did something weird to your network in some unexpected way that Roku is interpreting as something abnormal. Ad blockers on the network, such as PiHole, can often be the cause, if the system can detect them. But, it could be something quite innocent yet unexpected. The hotspot test will help determine if to go in that direction for a solution.

DBDukes