Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DiegoMSantos
Reel Rookie

Roku channel app for FireTv Not displaying add-ons

Hello Roku team,
Can you guys please unblock the Roku channels to also display on the app for fireTv just like the same app for Roku OS ?

I have two add-ons(Showtime and AMC+) that I see inside the Roku OS app, but I do NOT see the same Shows and movies from the two channels on the FireTv app.

One of my print that display Showtime content is the Roku OS app, the other that don't display any Showtime or AMC content it's the FireTv app.

I also sent a review at "The Roku channel" app page on Amazon reporting the same issue.
Thanks,
Diego
Roku.JPGRokuFireTV.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku channel app for FireTv Not displaying add-ons

@DiegoMSantos

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the Roku Channel app on non Roku devices will not have all of the same functionality that is included on Roku devices.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Premium subscriptions purchased through 3rd party systems like Roku, Amazon, Hulu, etc, are typically only viewable via the service through which you subscribed. In Roku's case, many are viewed via The Roku Channel.

If you want to view on all platforms supported by that channel you typically must subscribe directly with the channel via its web page then use its dedicated app for each platform, authenticating via your channel account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
DiegoMSantos
Reel Rookie

Hello Makalguy,

Why The Roku channel is Not listed as a provider inside Showtime anytime app?

I am paying this add on via my Roku subscription, so in this case, Roku is a provider just like Hulu or Amazon.

Please Download the Showtime anytime app and try to login considering your Roku channel subscription and you will Not see Roku listed there.

Thanks,

Diego

DiegoMSantos
Reel Rookie

Hello RokuDanny-R

So the Roku team has No plans to update the app for Firestick OS to show the same add-on content that the original app for RokuOS have?

IF not, what is the purpose of creating a limited app for a new platform that does Not display the same add-on content that the original app shows ?

Thanks,

Diego

lbecque
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R "not have all the same functionality" is one thing, but not displaying the premium content you are paying a monthly subscription for under the "Roku Channel" on your non-Roku devices is quite another thing!  The "Roku Channel" is not a device, it is a service.  And as such, you should supply the same services you are paying for on all devices supported.

lbecque
Reel Rookie

@makaiguy"are typically only viewable via the service through which you subscribed. In Roku's case, many are viewed via The Roku Channel" this is exactly what we are asking about!  If I subscribe to Starz through the Roku Channel service, then why can't I see my Starz premium service that I am paying for under the "Roku Channel" app on all other devices? 

For instance, I recently subscribed to Starz in the Roku Channel of my Roku TV so I can see Starz content there.  I can also load the Roku app on my Android phone and view Starz content under the Roku Channel on that device.  However, if I load the Roku Channel app on any of my FireTVs, Starz content and my premium subscription under the Roku Channel is not there.  So why is it viewable on 2 different devices (note Android phone is not a Roku device) but not the 3rd?

I don't know if the fault is with Roku just not updating the FireTV version of their app or if this restriction is being demanded by Amazon on their devices.  If it is the latter it is anti-competitive behavior that our lawmakers and FCC should fix.  If it is the former Roku should fix this.  In the meantime, there should be a warning when subscribing to premium channels on Roku that your content may not be viewable on all devices.

lbecque
Reel Rookie

@DiegoMSantos@makaiguy@RokuDanny-ROK, so now I have re-subscribed to STARZ on Prime Video rather than using the Roku Channel and I found that STARZ is available on all my FireTV and ROKU devices (Roku using the Prime Video app). This is something that AMAZON can do that Roku cannot!! When I subscribe to STARZ under the Roku Channel it is only available on my Roku device under the Roku Channel but NOT under the Roku Channel using the Roku Channel App on my FireTV. I think this is a HUGE oversight by Roku thus I will NOT subscribe to premium channels under the Roku Channel anymore (unless this gets fixed).

rorekucom

And YEARS later they still haven't fixed it. Had I known this, I would have signed up for (premium channel) directly, and not through Roku. Garbage.