Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikemerrow518
Level 7

Roku changes channels and mutes on its own

I have 2 rokus, in separate rooms of the house and my upstairs neighbor has one as well. When we are watching downstairs, in ned, the channel changes on its own, the volume mutes and the roku turns on and off. Sometimes, the neighbors pictures show up on screen as a slide show. They are NOT attached to my account. How is this possible that multiple devices act like one? Shouldnt walls prevent remote interference??

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku changes channels and mutes on its own

I assume you are both connected to the same Wi-Fi network and they are using an app on their phone to control your Roku.  They are either doing it by accident or just screwing with you.  Try setting "Network access" to "Disabled" under Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Control by mobile apps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@renojim 

Unfortunately there's been a massive security/privacy bug in the Control by mobile apps setting since version RokuOS 9.3 - its broken and doesnt apply the setting to the official Roku Remote app (it only applies to third-party remote/Play on Roku apps).

I've informed Roku about it numerous times, they seem unconcerned (they dont even have an official public-facing security program or contact procedure etc).

So this will only work if the other person isnt using the official app (unlikely).

0 Kudos
Mikemerrow518
Level 7

Ive already disabled this. Its definitely not a mobile app or anything controlling it. i still dont understand how MY roku would display a slide show of pictures from my neighbor. We were laying in bed and all of a sudden their photos came on screen and i could slide threw them. And again, mirroring is off as well. 

0 Kudos
Mikemerrow518
Level 7

Could the app just be on someone's cell phone? I mentioned before, at one point last night we were watching and a photo reel slide show came onto my tv and it was of my neighbor. I was able to cycle through their photos. i just can see how its possible that separate devices can all control eachother. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@Mikemerrow518 

Disabling "Control by mobile apps" doesnt fully work (the setting has been broken for over a year).

If you disable this setting, the Roku Remote app can still control your Roku from ANY device on the network (move the selection box, start apps, cast pictures/audio/video etc) - third party apps are blocked, but not the official Roku Remote app.

Its also possible your Smart TV's Miracast receiver or UPnP/DLNA renderer capability was being used, so be sure to check that as well.

0 Kudos