Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NaeNae2020

Re: Roku blocking youtube age restricted videos since last week

Bro no, it’s def ROKU because I have the same problem and I can watch the video on my phone without a problem because parental control is off on my YouTube , but if I link it to the tv , it doesn’t play because of age restrictions… therefore, it’s ROKU.. Roku has some type of age restricted thing in their system that clearly no one can’t figure out how to take off … 

vkapella
Channel Surfer

Set your COMPLETE birth date in your google account profile - Month, Day AND Year and all will be well.   For some reason, YouTube on Roku cares if the year is not set in your google profile.   Peace.

0 Kudos
SunnyDaze78
Reel Rookie

Ok, so i keep seeing the same answer over and over...some nicely put and some nasty, for some reason. People just want answers and it's frustrating when things don't work and you don't know WHY they don't work. Anyway, I am not seeing anyone who said they went to google, made sure the birthdate was correct, and are still getting the error. It's a LOT of comments, so i very well could have missed it...but that is MY situation. My birthdate was entered in when i first started my YouTube and google accounts. The main google account, which is the one my YouTube uses, already has my full birthdate in it and my videos are all of a sudden restricted. Two days ago, i may have gotten a prompt about sensitive material, but could still view it. Yesterday, it started saying "something went wrong. Sorry, this content is age restricted". The birthdate on my Google account shows that i am 43 years old. Videos are still restricted. Anybody know why that might be? I only have one account/profile on YouTube, it is labeled a brand account, and the email associated with it is my main google address.   

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

1) Try changing your birthdate (make yourself a year older) and saving the information - try again

2) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System update/Check now - try again

3) Restart your Roku:  Settings/System/System restart/Restart - try again

SunnyDaze78
Reel Rookie

Thanks for that! It did not work, but I did find this:

I found out how to move my brand channel onto my owner account:

Switch account to the brand channel

Go to Settings > Advanced Settings (center or bottom left) > Move channel

This moved all of my videos, playlists and subscriptions onto the owner account. However I did lose all of my comments, which is fine by me.

This worked, once i figured out how to navigate to the correct profile (apparently there was a non-brand profile that i never used, which was also using my main google email)!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Thats good information/feedback for a solution for users in a similar situation.

0 Kudos
Risco
Channel Surfer

YouTube age restricted on brand channel?

Up until recently I had no issue watching age restricted content via my brand channel.  However as of today it has stopped working.

I have the age fully set up in my profile.

My personal channel works, but I don’t want to use this as my brand channel has all my history and comments etc.

Viewing the same content on my phone or web browser via brand channel works without issue.

I have signed out and back in again.

I have restarted Roku.

Why has this started happening?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube age restricted on brand channel?

@Risco 

If the YouTube app is not allowing something on a particular platform, you should contact the app developer, as each platform commonly use different coded apps. That is, the Amazon app is different code and programming language than the Apple TV app, which is differenct code and language than Android, which is different code and langue than Roku, and so on.

Google/YouTube would be where you should direct your query.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
LadyEarl

I've been having issues with my roku recently.... All of a sudden, I can't watch one of my favorite movies bc of age restriction? I checked my Google account and everything is up to date. And I can watch it on my phone & my laptop, just not roku. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Make sure your birth year is in your Google profile. That is what has been tripping up users. Apparently Google is enforcing the year on some devices more strongly than others. There's nothing that the Roku device itself is doing to block access within a specific channel.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos