Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
happy_camper
Channel Surfer

Roku basically a paper weight as signs me out of multiple apps all the time!

I have basically stopped using my Roku (a Roku ultra) device as every time I do I have to go back in and sign into/verify multiple apps.  This is so frustrating, I feel I wasted my money.  Older Roku's never did this and I have many of the same apps (channels) on my smart TV and I don't get booted from them so I know it the common problem is the Roku.  I could understand the occasionally need to sign in again, but this is chronic.  Any suggestions before I just recycle it?  Thanks, TK

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku basically a paper weight as signs me out of multiple apps all the time!

You probably didn’t verify your username or password correctly on each app, or you must’ve done a factory reset on your device.  Also check your device’s software version.  What is the model number of your Roku device?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

Re: Roku basically a paper weight as signs me out of multiple apps all the time!

What is your Roku model number? Also are logging into channels like CBS with your tv provider credentials? If that’s the case it has nothing to do with Roku. I’ve been logged into Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and more for years. I use YouTube TV to watch local content so I don’t need to log into any channels with my tv provider credentials.

happy_camper
Channel Surfer

Hi.  Both TV (cable provider verified) and basic app get booted.  Like right now I tried HULU, Disney+, HBOmax (I have accounts directly with these) and am logged out, same with CNN, Curiosity Stream.  Only Netflix seemed to be kept this time.  It is like I am set back to a new startup with nearly everything.  I used to use it daily and had no problems, once this started I won't use it for a few weeks and try again but have to sign into almost everything. Model on bottom says 4800X.

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@happy_camper  It shouldn’t be happening on Hulu or HBO Max. Unless someone else is logging into your Roku account or channels. I’ve been logged in for years. It’s not a Roku issue. It’s something on your end. Do you have other devices? Are you saying your Hulu credentials with family members?

happy_camper
Channel Surfer

Hi.  I have been able to watch things fine once logged in so I am pretty sure I was logged in correctly the last time I used each app or I wouldn't have been able to watch things?  It is almost like it is resetting itself (I've never asked it to).  Software says 11.0.0 build 4193-c2, it last checked for a software update today and last updated itself in May.

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@happy_camper  You didn’t answer my questions 

happy_camper
Channel Surfer

As for sharing, yes a few are shared but some that are also doing this behavior aren't.  I have HULU and HBO installed on other TVS (LG) and devices (firestick) and use the same passwords and don't get logged out.  This only seems to be a problem on the Roku?  And by shared I mean yes at other IP addresses my mom uses one, maybe HULU.  I have had older Roku's and this didn't happen on them either.  I am wondering if I have a glitchy one or this model has issues.  Maybe I should dig out my old one!

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@happy_camper  You are not allowed to have other people outside your home log into channels such as Hulu and others. Hulu only allows like 2 simultaneous streams. Netflix is cracking down on password sharing. If more then 3 people are trying to use Hulu at the same time this can occur. Hulu and HBO Max allow you to log out of all devices via the website. You can try that. But again this isn’t a Roku issue. Been using Roku for 10 years. Never happens at all. When you log in how are you doing it? Most of the time you verify your credentials with your phone or computer 

Vakko
Roku Guru

@happy_camper  How your logging into Hulu or HBO Max has nothing to do with Roku. It’s communication between Hulu and your account credentials. But you cannot share your Hulu or HBO Max credentials with people outside of your home