Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpershke
Level 7

Roku as input to slingbox

I've seen a few threads on this and most of them question the use case so let me explain what I think is a good one....Spectrum now has a pretty good roku app to watch tv in lieu of a cable box.  Today I have a slingbox on a cable box (not my dvr which doesn't have spare ports).  But, I could get rid of the cable box ($7/mo) with the roku except now I lose slingbox capability.  

So, if I could find a way to hook the roku up to the slingbox (and control it) I could get rid of the box and still have slingbox capability for when I am outside the spectrum network (the app sucks if you aren't inside a spectrum wifi network) and/or travelling abroad (which is mainly when I need the slingbox).

Has anyone figured this out?

thanks.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku as input to slingbox

What you're looking to do can't be done.

Keep in mind that everything you watch on a Roku device can be watched via other means. I assume you're not talking about Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc., as you are certainly aware of those apps for phones and tablets. I assume you're wanting to watch live Spectrum TV, as you said your DVR isn't connected to Slingbox. Have you looked into the apps for those particular channels? The NBC or ABC apps, for example, allow you to watch TV if you authenticate against your provider. I don't know if Spectrum is a provider that will work with that, but I'd suspect they are.

Maybe if you spelled out what it is you're wanting to watch, there might be ways to watch without Slingbox.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

If the roku isn't a stick, and can be controlled via IR. Slingbox use UEI code list, try S2371? A cable box code.

You'll have load your own BIN file, whatever that means. Smiley Happy

go to hifi-remote
0 Kudos
jpershke
Level 7

thanks...clearly it has to be technically possible as sling just uses a video feed which roku obviously provides....so it is a matter of getting the IR codes right and sling seems to do some audio optimization which is why it asks for your "cable box"....not sure if that is the bin file thing but I'll keep investigating....

to those that still don't get the use case, many of these apps are location based.  Spectrum is the most irritating as it restricts most content to its own network so I can't use even at my vacation home....then travelling internationally presents all kinds of problems with the other content providers....Sling gives you a way to basically get everything you can get at home....

thanks,
0 Kudos
mbraun
Level 7

I'm doing similar battle with this now. I have a Roku Express+ set up with a Slingbox M2. I can view the signal remotely but can't get the remote to work (have IR emitter in front of the Roku stick). I'm assuming that the default Roku remote code from the Slingbox setup is wrong. Hoping I can get pointed in a direction to get the right codes (bin) to try. Thanks.
0 Kudos
jpershke
Level 7

Did you see the it codes above? Try them?

I didn't see Roku listed as input device but I have an m1. A description of how you got it to play video would be helpful... Thanks
0 Kudos
mbraun
Level 7

My understanding is that I need a bin file for the remote. I tried some other bins but no luck. And when I did, the picture of the remote didn't match mine either.
My setup is a Slingbox M2, Roku Express+ and Musou HDMI to 1080P Component Video. For "Select your provider", I selected "My AV device has no TV service". Then at model of your cable box I searched "Roku", and selected Roku (VCR). The picture of my remote matches what they found. It finds the video signal and shows the live screen on my PC, but the remote can't control the screen. Post if you get yours to work. Thanks.

BTW - for those questioning why anyone would pursue this, in my case, I'm trying to get local channels (and football games) from where I used to live in another state. I have an HDHomerun set up at my parents to get their OTA feed and am trying to utilize Roku and Slingbox to get the feed where I now live. I also have a NAS set up there with Emby and Plex loaded on it but the constant buffering I get from both those makes a remote feed unwatchable. Both my parents and I have 100Mb internet connections.
0 Kudos
jpershke
Level 7

Thanks - I'll play around with it more when I get some time...glad to confirm it is possible.
0 Kudos
mbraun
Level 7

Of note - I got a nag that the link posted by vickyg2003 tried to access my webcam when I went to the above link.
0 Kudos

Any update on this topic? i am looking to sling the locast app when i travel need the ability to change channels. since i cut the cord with directv my slingbox has been rather useless and thought this would be a nice option.

many thanks in advance.
0 Kudos