Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku app not available on my Samsung smart TV

Jump to solution

Yes, the theory of CEC is great, but its implementation by the various manufacturers leaves a lot to be desired. If Samsung listed the 3810 as a supported Roku player, that would imply that they were using CEC to control the Roku. My guess is whoever created the list of supported Roku devices didn't realize that all Stick models don't support IR. Since I can't control anything on my Ultra using my Samsung remote (just the normal TV remote), while it will control my Shield, it sure seems to point that Roku doesn't support control over CEC. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
k8bobate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

Yes, the theory of CEC is great, but its implementation by the various manufacturers leaves a lot to be desired. If Samsung listed the 3810 as a supported Roku player, that would imply that they were using CEC to control the Roku. My guess is whoever created the list of supported Roku devices didn't realize that all Stick models don't support IR. Since I can't control anything on my Ultra using my Samsung remote (just the normal TV remote), while it will control my Shield, it sure seems to point that Roku doesn't support control over CEC. 

Well, this is my response from Roku customer support. I'm pretty sure other ppl have gotten their Rokus to respond to other remotes...

Hi Kate,

Thank you for contacting Roku. I understand that you have an inquiry if you can control your Roku Streaming Stick+ by using the universal remote.

The Roku devices respond only to their remotes. We do not recommend the use of universal remotes to the Roku players. Moreover, the Roku Streaming stick+ device works only with the enhanced/point anywhere remote. An enhanced remote is included with all Streaming Sticks considering they are typically installed out of sight (e.g., behind your TV).

For more information about the remotes, please click on the FAQ link mentioned below:

https://support.roku.com/article/115013256808 (What type of remote control does my Roku® device use?)

Please reply to this email if you have further queries.

Thank you for choosing Roku. Stay safe and healthy!

Regards,

Jason

Roku Customer Support

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@k8bobate wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

Well, this is my response from Roku customer support. I'm pretty sure other ppl have gotten their Rokus to respond to other remotes...

Hi Kate,

Thank you for contacting Roku. I understand that you have an inquiry if you can control your Roku Streaming Stick+ by using the universal remote.

The Roku devices respond only to their remotes. We do not recommend the use of universal remotes to the Roku players. Moreover, the Roku Streaming stick+ device works only with the enhanced/point anywhere remote. An enhanced remote is included with all Streaming Sticks considering they are typically installed out of sight (e.g., behind your TV).

For more information about the remotes, please click on the FAQ link mentioned below:

https://support.roku.com/article/115013256808 (What type of remote control does my Roku® device use?)

Please reply to this email if you have further queries.

Thank you for choosing Roku. Stay safe and healthy!

Regards,

Jason

Roku Customer Support

Not a particularly enlightening response. He didn't address CEC control at all, but I don't know how you phrased the question.

And while he said they don't recommend it, many users control non-Stick Roku devices with universal IR remotes all the time. Yes, people have used other remotes, but they're all IR based remotes. The only other option for controlling a Stick is using the iOS/Android app on a phone or tablet. As long as the device is connected to the same network, and assuming the wireless isn't firewalled from other devices, the app works just as well, if not better than, the Roku remote. The one caveat of course is the Roku must already be connected to the network before it will work. You can't use the app to get a Roku connected to the network.

Dan

0 Kudos
cclemons88

Jump to solution

We are not asking about the Roku Channel app. We are asking about using our Roku devices on our Samsung smart TVs. It seems we will not be able to use the Roku device (not the roku channel) on our Samsung tv. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@cclemons88 wrote:

We are not asking about the Roku Channel app. We are asking about using our Roku devices on our Samsung smart TVs. It seems we will not be able to use the Roku device (not the roku channel) on our Samsung tv. Is this correct?

No, there's no problem using a Roku player on a Samsung TV. My Ultra 4640 is connected to an NU7100 right now, and it used to be connected to a Samsung JU7100. 

A Roku player is simply another HDMI device, similar to a Blu Ray/DVD player, cable box, or some other streaming device. HDMI is an international standard, and anything that meets that standard will work.

Dan

0 Kudos
cclemons88

Jump to solution

My Roku device is not showing up in my Samsung TV sources.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I'd try a different HDMI port, as well as a different HDMI cable. I don't recall any setting on any Samsung TV to disable a port, but if your Roku is 4K you do need to enable UHD Color for the port you connect to. But that setting would not keep the Roku from being shown as an input device. 

Dan

0 Kudos
k8bobate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If it's a newer Samsung TV, it should automatically detect the Roku device, as long as the Roku is powered on. Do you have it plugged into the wall outlet? Or, you can plug it into the USB in the TV AND the HDMI and it will use the USB to power itself. (Assuming you are using the Roku stick).

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@k8bobate wrote:

If it's a newer Samsung TV, it should automatically detect the Roku device, as long as the Roku is powered on. Do you have it plugged into the wall outlet? Or, you can plug it into the USB in the TV AND the HDMI and it will use the USB to power itself. (Assuming you are using the Roku stick).

I strongly recommend against using a TV USB port for powering any Roku, even the Stick. The USB 2.0 standard only provides 500 mA (1/2 amp), and that's borderline for powering a Stick, and flat out not enough for the other Roku players with a USB power connection (many of the newer ones now do). 

And not every TV provides even that 500 mA, so really not enough.

Doesn't matter how old or new a TV is. If it has an HDMI port it should recognize any device connected, unless it's a really, really old model that doesn't support 1080p over HDMI. Yeah, some of the earliest models didn't. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Makulski
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The link provided does not work.

0 Kudos