Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Youtube app returns to roku home screen while navigating Youtube menus.

Jump to solution

Roku Youtube app returns to roku home screen while navigating Youtube menus. Not a playback issue. Plays Youtube videos just fine.  Here's an actual example 1) click the Youtube app on your Roku Home menu. 2) left click to get Home hilited on the Youtube app 3) down arrow to "Music" 4) down arrow to "Latest" 5) app terminates and returns to roku home menu.  Because both "Subscriptions" and "Library" have recently been moved to near the end of the column, I have been unable to navigate 10 times out of 10 tries to either of them. Before the recent menu change "Subscriptions" and "Library" were higher in the column and I could usually get to them, BUT I could only navigate through about 3-5 videos before the app would terminate and return to the Roku Home menu.  This used to work fine.

Has any on else seen this behavior? Using Roku 2720X on a 5 MB bandpass.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Youtube app returns to roku home screen while navigating Youtube menus.

Jump to solution

Hi there! 

Thanks for the note. YouTube manages their channel on the Roku platform, including any changes to the UI or content. You'll want to reach out to YouTube support directly to report this type of issue within their channel, and request further assistance. Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Youtube app returns to roku home screen while navigating Youtube menus.

Jump to solution

Hi there! 

Thanks for the note. YouTube manages their channel on the Roku platform, including any changes to the UI or content. You'll want to reach out to YouTube support directly to report this type of issue within their channel, and request further assistance. Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
LawrenceGold
Level 7

Jump to solution

Dear Tanner,

I think your answer, "YouTube handles playback," is a cop-out.

It didn't start until Roku started "offering" Play Now, Not Interested, Remember for Later, etc., instead of just launching the selected video. These are options not found on YouTube via their URL.

If you want to be of service, give us an exact link into YouTube technical support FOR THIS ISSUE. Don't just tell us to contact them.

That, or handle the problem.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note. 

As I previously mentioned, any changes in the channel (app) are at the discretion of the channel provider. Roku does not manage or control the channel's features/functionality or content, etc. We can pass along the feedback, but the channel provider will need to assist you further with investigating your report. You can reach their support team here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
leemelone
Level 9

Jump to solution

My three favorite apps (YouTube, ABC and A&E) have stopped loading in the last 10 days as described in the original post. You're saying that it's a coincidence that I lost all three at the same time of my last Roku update? And that it has nothing to do with Roku and you can't fix it?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same problem. YouTube is nonfunctional on Roku since the OS 9.2 update.

It is an utter cop-out for Roku to be throwing this onto YouTube for support.

Roku is succeeding in making its platform obsolete. Congratulations, folks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Wayne065
Level 7

Jump to solution
I’ve been having a lot of issues with my “legacy” rokus for a few years, seems the developers for the apps are making the coding very heavy for the old devices. When YouTube and Netflix updated the apps last month I started having the same issues you are describing. I believe it’s RAM related, it simply cannot hold all that much static data. It ended up overheating the logic boards in 3 separate old rokus (roku 1, roku 2XS and a 2HD). I ended up unlinking them all and buying roku expresses. No issues now.

It stinks, because they were fine players for almost an entire decade of service.
0 Kudos
leemelone
Level 9

Jump to solution

The problem is that it's not just doing it on "legacy" devices. My SE 2710X is still on the list that's considered update-able. I can watch YouTube on my old android tablet and phone with no problem. If I have to buy another device to watch YouTube on my TV, it sure won't be another Roku.

0 Kudos