Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drongo
Level 8

Roku YouTube App Displaying less rows and less videos per row - UI changed

I noticed the other posts on here reporting zoom issues in playback of channels but this is a different problem.

It is affecting the YouTube app, in the main screens where it shows videos in rows, it is now only showing 3 across and only 1.5 rows down.

To understand the effect, go to YouTube in a browser on your Laptop and press CTRL & + to zoom in and you will see less and less across, as well as down.

I suspect what has happened here is that the YouTube app is "responsive" a term in web development that means it adapts to screen size on a mobile device.

Well I am on a 43" HD Plus TV not a mobile, so I reckon that Roku is telling the app the wrong information about the device and YouTube (and other apps) are zooming in because they think it is smaller.

Needless to say, it is ridiculous, unlike a laptop Roku does not give me options to set the zoom level, so maybe it should or just fix it PLEASE!.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Drongo
Level 8

Re: Roku YouTube App Displaying less rows and less videos per row - UI changed

To show an example of the loss of functionality I did a screen shot of what it is like on a laptop at normal zoom vs what I get with Roku YouTube app now.  It took me zooming in 5 levels of zoom on the laptop to get the same awful display I get with Roku YouTube app.

Normal

NormalNormal

Zoomed

Roku Bad YouTube AppRoku Bad YouTube App

0 Kudos
Drongo
Level 8

Very frustrated, I go to the trouble of uploading screenshots to help better visualise the issue and you have sent my post into limbo

The images below show the before and after effect

Normal (before)Normal (before)

Roku Bad YouTube App (After)Roku Bad YouTube App (After)

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Did you report it to Google/Youtube?  It's their channel/app.  They could fix it if they wanted to.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Drongo
Level 8

No of course not, that would be like farting in the wind.

The fact that other channel apps on Roku are appearing zoomed suggests that this is a Roku issue.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Are-your-channels-appearing-zoomed-during-pla...

As I said before, Roku presents a translation of the hardware it is receiving on HDMI to the app, the app then adjusts itself in a responsive way to the resolution it is given by Roku.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That's a completely different, completely unrelated issue.  Note the "during playback" reference.

You're making assumptions and you'll find Roku's support to be no better than Google's, but it's still Google's channel/app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos