Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rozel
Level 7

Roku + Using BBC iPlayer

Hi

From the UK and have started to enjoy the BBC's UHD HDR/HLG test transmissions for the World Cup matches.  They really look brilliant.  I'm using a Roku + for the iPlayer app as my TV doesn't support it's native iPlayer app, when transmissions are HDR ones.  I won't go into that though.

My question is how can I get the stats for the video being played on the BBC iPlayer, similar to those I've read about when using Netflix?  Also similar the Stats for Nerds when playing back a You Tube clip?  Is there a way, when using iPlayer please?  I'm interested in the bit rate and the resolution for the live feed.  My TV displays a basic info banner saying it's HDR and I can check the backlight automatically goes to max but nothing on the bitrate and resolution.  I've looked at the secret menus but these are very confusing (debugging mode for instance) but I don't know how to get anything to appear in iPlayer.

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Grand_Total
Level 7

Re: Roku + Using BBC iPlayer

"rozel" wrote:
My question is how can I get the stats for the video being played on the BBC iPlayer, similar to those I've read about when using Netflix?  Also similar the Stats for Nerds when playing back a You Tube clip?  Is there a way, when using iPlayer please?  

I cannot give you a categorical answer, but I think the answer is that there is no such data available. It's not a Roku issue, you could try asking iPlayer support.
Failing that, perhaps your router might help, mine is able to show me bitrate with reasonable accuracy. 
Do you happen to know if I'd see anything if I bought a Roku player that supports UHD iPlayer and attached it to my (non HDR) UHD TV?
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.
0 Kudos
Grand_Total
Level 7

"Grand Total" wrote:

Do you happen to know if I'd see anything if I bought a Roku player that supports UHD iPlayer and attached it to my (non HDR) UHD TV?

Answering my own question: My TV does not support HDCP 2.2
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Grand Total" wrote:
"Grand Total" wrote:

Answering my own question: My TV does not support HDCP 2.2

Really, a UHD set without HDCP 2.2? Ouch. It must be a very early model. Unfortunately, not something that can be upgraded via software most likely. Bummer...
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Grand_Total
Level 7

Thank you. Because of your comment I checked the documentation on the Samsung website and it appears that my (2014 model) TV has 1 HDMI port that supports HDCP 2.2.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I believe my JU7100 is considered a 2015 model, and it support HDCP 2.2 on all four ports. But yeah, there certain were a lot of earlier models that only had it on one or two ports. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos