Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaRamblerman
Level 7

Roku Ultra

Will Roku Ultra recognize and work with a Seagate Backup Plus Hub 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive ? Thanks This is a 4tb hdd and hub unit with its own power supply
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra

"DaRamblerman" wrote:
Will Roku Ultra recognize and work with a Seagate Backup Plus Hub 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive ? Thanks This is a 4tb hdd and hub unit with its own power supply

I don't know of any limitations of Roku that would prevent it from being read. What's going to matter, I suspect, is the manner in which you attempt to play the content. The app you choose, for instance. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest you have Roku Media Player (RMP) in mind. That'd fine. However, from what I understand, it doesn't cache any directory listings, and reads anew each time the app is accessed. 

The assumption is that you have a large library -- or plan one -- of content to play locally. With RMP needing to read a listing each time, the more content you have, the longer it will take. I do not know the point at which it becomes a problem.

My answer suggests that it will read it, but the app you use to play the content from such a large drive might be problematic.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DaRamblerman
Level 7

Thanks I currently have almost 2tb in DVD movies. Use to use WDTV which was much better interface and player but it has developed reboot problems so I retired it. Having converted my dvd collection to MP4. I stil have several boxes of dvd to put on device.  I was hoping to put on the 4tb drive If Roku can read 4 tb Im good. I did see elsewhere it was possible to make some sort of library list on the roku. Have to study that yet. I will be using the Roku media player to play unless you know of a better app on Roku. Thanks for the quick response,. Hope you are having a merry Christmas.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

With the Ultra you may not need to convert them to MP4. Some of the latest players  (Ultra, Premium+ and Stick+ that I know of so far) support MPEG-2 video, so as long as they are in a supported container (MKV, MP4 or TS) they will play fine. Remember that Roku doesn't support lossless audio, so any Blu Ray rips need to either use a standard DD/DTS soundtrack (and DTS only if you're running through an AVR) or you need to play your videos via a DLNA server, which can transcode the audio on the fly. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DaRamblerman
Level 7

There is no server available. This is hooked right into my tv no computers available
They are in a example... Folder  Lost city of Z sub folder Audio ts...which is empty. and video ts folder which has  VTS_01_0.ifo and VTS_01_0.vob in that folder. But my Roku will not play them
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"DaRamblerman" wrote:
There is no server available. This is hooked right into my tv no computers available
They are in a example... Folder  Lost city of Z sub folder Audio ts...which is empty. and video ts folder which has  VTS_01_0.ifo and VTS_01_0.vob in that folder. But my Roku will not play them

Yep, Roku doesn't support DVD formatted (VOB) files. In that case, yes you need to convert them into a suitable supported container. MP4 is good, and as I mentioned you could use MKV or TS as well. Handbrake supports both MP4 and MKV output. If you leave the video in MPEG-2, the conversion should go really fast, since it doesn't have to transcode the video into H.264 or other codec. The Ultra also supports H.265, which would result in smaller files, but it will take a while to convert each file. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DaRamblerman
Level 7

Thanks and the non dvd support bummed me. Twice as much as the WDTV and could not play native dvd. But it does youtube really quick WD used to take some time to load and then sometimes when a vid was selected the unit would reboot. However it did have the ability to change file names and move files from USB stick right on to the WD slaved drive.I wanted to keep them as dvd in case I need to make one again and the WD did hat. I already spent hours converting to MP4 but I might try some in TS next. Thanks again.
0 Kudos