Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BamaInArk
Level 8

Roku Ultra losing sync with Amazon Video

Fairly new Roku user.  Got the Ultra.   Direct connected via ethernet.   Connected to tv via HDMI.    Generally I am happy with it.    What I am seeing though...........

I am streaming the series "The Expanse" on Amazon Prime Video.   It works fine during the video however when one episode ends and I let it transition to the next episode in sequence.   Once the new episode begins it seems to lose voice to video sync.  I have tried various methods to get it to correct but typically I end up stopping the video, restarting then telling it to play from the beginning.   Pausing, rewinding does not seem to take care of the loss of sync.

I have watched a few movies on Amazon Prime and Netflix however did not notice any syncing issues during the movies themselves.   So it seems it's just the transition on Amazon where the glitch happens.

Just curious if others are seeing this and what I might do to solve it.
15 Replies
BamaInArk
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra losing sync with Amazon Video

Replying to my own topic for an update.

After more time with this Roku Ultra and Amazon Prime I'm finding the audio syncing issue more and more.   I tried several different times yesterday to watch the same movie and could never get it to sync properly.  I tried again this morning and it worked fine.   Later in the day(today) I attempted another video and after several tries could not get it to sync properly.  Finally switched to the Amazon Prime App on the TV itself and worked perfectly.

Anyone else seeing this with the Roku Ultra and Amazon Prime?
edgarblan
Level 7

Yes I am also.  It is very annoying.  What I do is:
1.  click the back arrow to get to the individual episodes.
2. move the highlight to either the left or right a couple of episodes.
3. go back to the episode you want to watch and it should be syncing.
4. repeat if necessary
This is a quick fix unlike the guy who wants you to unplug everything wait 10-15 minutes plug everything back in.
BamaInArk
Level 8

Tried that....doesn't seem to make a difference.   And holy cow the issue is even worse now.   I basically cannot watch the series I'm trying to watch(Babylon 5).   I have to play it using the built in Amazon App on my TV.

I have tried every HDMI Audio setting to try and get it working.   Netflix seems to work fine.  Watching Youtube videos are fine as well.   I can jump around on Amazon Prime and get the sound/sync issue to duplicate but it doesn't occur on every video.

I have a newer LG 43 inch 4K tv in a bedroom using a Roku Streaming Stick +.   It seems to work fine when trying to watch the same series on Amazon Prime.

At this point I can only surmise there is some kind of compatibility issue with the Roku Ultra and Amazon Prime.   Or some other incompatibility like HDMI, etc
blade_005
Level 10

"BamaInArk" wrote:
Tried that....doesn't seem to make a difference.   And holy cow the issue is even worse now.   I basically cannot watch the series I'm trying to watch(Babylon 5).   I have to play it using the built in Amazon App on my TV.

I have tried every HDMI Audio setting to try and get it working.   Netflix seems to work fine.  Watching Youtube videos are fine as well.   I can jump around on Amazon Prime and get the sound/sync issue to duplicate but it doesn't occur on every video.

I have a newer LG 43 inch 4K tv in a bedroom using a Roku Streaming Stick +.   It seems to work fine when trying to watch the same series on Amazon Prime.

At this point I can only surmise there is some kind of compatibility issue with the Roku Ultra and Amazon Prime.   Or some other incompatibility like HDMI, etc

I occasionally see the same behavior with the internal apps on my TCL Roku TV. Not just with Prime Video, but other streaming apps and OTA channels as well. I think what happens is starting up a new video, even within the same streaming app (i.e. Prime Video), can sometimes create a frame rate issue between video and audio. You seeing it as it transitions from one episode to the next in Prime Video could create this.

When this occurs I have found two (2) methods that can work.
1. Set AUDIO MODE in Roku OS to STEREO, rather than Dolby D, Dolby D+ or DTS and it seems to not occur. Not an ideal solution, if you have a surround sound solution, but it does help.
2. If it is a frame rate issue, I find that stopping the video and returning to Roku HOME SCREEN and selecting any other input (HDMI 1, 2 or 3 or OTA if applicalble) and then returning back to the streaming app or HDMI input with the synch issue seems to correct or 'snap' the frame rate of video back in synch with audio.

Neither one is an elegant solution, but they are rather quick fixes that allow you to get back to watching what you intended with in synch video and audio.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
BamaInArk
Level 8

I should have been more specific when I mentioned it is worse now.   My first post was about seeing the problem during transition between episodes while binge watching.   The issue now is simply selecting an Episode to watch and the problem is there from the beginning.   We're talking about a 5 to 10 second sync issue.

I have Audio set to "Stereo" and HDMI set to "PCM-Stereo".   I tried all of the HDMI settings.
Towsie
Level 7

I have the same problem and it's been driving me crazy.  I tried EVERYTHING.  Even had a technician come to the house to take apart my TV, thinking the problem was there, but no. (Cost me money too.)  I upgraded to the Roku Ultra even though my big screen TV is only HD, hoping that I'd have no problems with it. WRONG.

Thru exhaustive testing and diagnosing I am convinced that the problem lies with the device software, not the hardware and not any of the numerous apps that show the same problem.  And they keep sending out occasional updates, that don't fix the problem.

I understand that the device is a very complex one, but (1) my Roku Ultra performed flawlessly when I first got it, then developed this pernicious sync problem, so they should be able to reverse whatever they did that caused it; and (2) ROKU HASN'T TOLD US ANYTHING.  It's a deafening silence.  It's been like talking to the wall.  I am so mad at Roku I'd love to throw out my several Roku devices but there's no real alternative right now.  They are being arrogant and irresponsible not to at least acknowledge the damned problem and TELL US WHAT THEY'RE DOING TO SOLVE IT.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

After the 8.1 update my Roku Ultra has been having problems with lipsync, not only with Amazon but others as well. I had to go into my Yamaha receiver settings and adjust lipsync just for the Roku.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
BamaInArk
Level 8

I have tried a few other solutions to see if they would make a difference.   I am using an older TV.  Only HDCP 1.4 compliant.  I was using a newer 2.2 HDMI cable so thought I would try and older cable.   Also rather than setting the Display setting to Auto I set it manually to 1080p.    Nothing seemed to help however.

Last night, July 8th, I tried it again and for whatever reason I was able to watch an episode of Babylon 5 without the syncing issue.   When that episode ended I let it transition to the next episode.  And sure enough the syncing issue appeared again.   I tried a few things to see if I could get it to work again....to no avail.

This morning after I got notifications of the new posts on this topic I again attempted to watch the next episode only to have the sync issue appear immediately.   This time I tried some of the techniques posted on this topic.  Nothing seemed to work.  This time I decided I would simply FF and REW a minute or so ahead and back to see what happened.   Once the FF/REW were completed and I allowed the video to continue the sound was again synced up with the video.   Hmmmmmm?    I think I had attempted that one time when this problem first appeared but didn't seem to help.

My last update was July 2nd.   Software version:  8.1.0 build 4137-46
0 Kudos
jayjnm
Level 7

I'm having the same issues with Plex. Can't get it fixed.
0 Kudos