Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wade7575
Level 7

Roku Ultra and Play Video threw USB HDD

I'm looking a buying a Roku Ultra for my Cottage,I want to use it to replace my WDTV Player witch has failed,I do do not have access to Wifi or the Net at my cottage period and I just want to use this as a video player.

I know that you have to create a Roku account online before using your Roku device and what I was wondering is if I did that from home where I do have the Net can I take my Roku player to my cottage and watch TV Shows I have downloaded from itunes and I also rip all of my dvds and keep them on a HDD for this reason as well that way I'm not taking a bunch of stuff back and forth and I can watch what I want whenever without having to worry about laving anything at home I wanted to bring.

What my biggest concern is that if a Roku Ultra will play Media files without Wifi.

I also have some media files of older movies that have from a while back that are in AVI and from what I can see Roku does not support this format,has anyone tried using MKV Tool Nix to convert an AVI or another unsupported format to MKV with MKV Tool Nix and tried playing it to see if it will play,the reason I ask this is because it only takes about 10 seconds to 30 seconds to convert a movie I have ripped in AVI to MKV where as Handbrake takes much longer.

Also with the Roku Ultra's support a portable HDD and up to what size.

These are the 2 Roku Ultra's I'm looking looking at getting I live in Canada and I can see the one say's it's not recommended for Canada ecause some features maybe limited witch is fine with me because I don't need it for Netflix my TV can do that.

https://www.amazon.ca/Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Enhanced-Headphone/dp/B075XMZMWY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
wade7575
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra and Play Video threw USB HDD

Why hasn't any of the Mods or anyone helped me with my questions just wondering,I know I'm not a customer yet but I want to be one and would just like to know what I'm getting into before I purchase a Roku Ultra.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm one of the few mods who are here on a daily basis, but I don't work weekends.  I got your PM, but didn't remember it.  Sometimes it can take 24-48 hours before a member of the community responds.

In regards to your question(s):

1. I believe you'll initially need to connect to the internet, no matter what.  Once you do, you "shouldn't" have any issues with local playback.  (NOTE: You may want to use a hotspot with the same name/password as your local wifi in order to accomplish this).

2. Someone else will have to advise regarding external HDDs, as I don't have that knowledge off-hand, and I don't have one to test with at the moment.

3. Supported video and audio formats: https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-to-use-roku-media-player-to-play-your-videos-music-and-photos (about 1/3rd of the way down).

4. Regarding Canada: Some features may not be available in your region.  I don't have access to test this scenario out, and it may be a few days before I can find someone who knows.  Hopefully someone in the community can update this thread with better information.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
wade7575
Level 7

I would just like to update this thread and let everyone know I got my Roku Ultra and after it has been set with an account you can use the Media player to play digital content when it is not hooked up to the net.
0 Kudos