Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
naustin
Level 7

Roku Ultra and Amazon HDR not working

Hi Netflix does HDR fine on my Vizio P65 via the Ultra.  Amazon only shows UHD or 4K.  Any ideas as to a fix?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Heyitsrick
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra and Amazon HDR not working

"naustin" wrote:
Hi Netflix does HDR fine on my Vizio P65 via the Ultra.  Amazon only shows UHD or 4K.  Any ideas as to a fix?  Thanks.

What titles have you tried on Amazon? For example, can you try watching "Bosch" to see if you get HDR? It's an Amazon Original series, so it's free on Prime.  From what I've read, there may be an extra cost for HDR movies over and above non-HDR. That's from an article I saw from the summer.

Note: It may only be Season 2 of "Bosch" that's HDR.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Are you certain? Amazon hides the HDR label and it only appears when looking at the information about a specific episode (for TV shows or Amazon content). It doesn't appear when browsing the titles themselves. This is based on what I see when using Amazon on my Samsung TV app. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
naustin
Level 7

I stand corrected.  I tried watching shows I'd previously viewed in UHD (4K) and Amazon remembers the format.  Trying a new series from scratch in the UHD section like Mozart in the Jungle yielded HDR.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I got Bosch season 2 to work after I deleted the UHD version I was watched and added it a second time from the UHD section.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"naustin" wrote:
I stand corrected.  I tried watching shows I'd previously viewed in UHD (4K) and Amazon remembers the format.  Trying a new series from scratch in the UHD section like Mozart in the Jungle yielded HDR.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I got Bosch season 2 to work after I deleted the UHD version I was watched and added it a second time from the UHD section.

Ah, that's interesting to know that you had to delete what you saved to get it to work. Tks.
0 Kudos

Hi, just received today Roku ULTRA 4k, Any ULTRA HD content from Amazon doesn't get played in HDR2020 formate it plays SDR 4:2:2 709, I play netflix and it switches to HDR2020 as expected. This is not related to Amazon content, because I have APPLE TV 4k and it plays Amazon content in BT2020 without any problems.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"soulofuniverse" wrote:
Hi, just received today Roku ULTRA 4k, Any ULTRA HD content from Amazon doesn't get played in HDR2020 formate it plays SDR 4:2:2 709, I play netflix and it switches to HDR2020 as expected. This is not related to Amazon content, because I have APPLE TV 4k and it plays Amazon content in BT2020 without any problems.

Sounds similar to the issue that TCL Roku users are experiencing with Amazon HDR10 content via Amazon VIdeo app thru Roku OS. (See link to Roku Support Thread below)
Amazon HDR10 Issue w/TCL Roku

When Amazon announced on Dec. 13th that all of their HDR10 content was now re-mastered to support HDR10+ format a lot of TCL Roku TV set owners began to experience Amazon HDR10 content being extremely washed out and lacking any tone mapping. We spent a few weeks documenting our issues and eventually TCL and Roku put out statements to some TCL Roku users that there was a technical glitch with Amazon HDR10 content on some TCL Roku sets and that HDR10 content would be removed for the impacted devices. Since then, you can only play back a 4K version of the content, but no HDR support. That is likely why it is working for your Apple device, but not your Roku Ultra. 

Dolby Vision content on Netflix plays fine on our Roku TV devices, Dolby Vision (Bosch - Season 2) content from Amazon Video plays fine on Roku TV devices, HDR10 content on YouTube plays fine on Roku TV devices. Only HDR10 content from Amazon is currently an issue.

We are still awaiting a resolution.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos