Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3Gilchrist
Level 7

Roku Ultra & YoutubeTV buffering/slow connection

Hello all,

I'm looking for a solution or advice on an issue between my Roku ultra and the YoutubeTV app. On my Roku, YoutubeTV is virtually unwatchable. It will drop the resolution down to 240p@30fps before it stops stuttering. Manually setting both the Roku and youtube tv apps to fixed resolutions such as 720@60fps and 1080@60fps does not help. YoutubeTV works fine on other devices using the same internet connection and using the roku connection speed test I show 30mbs download but when using the debugger tool in the youtubetv app I only show 1.5mbs. Other applications such as Netflix and Hulu also work with no issues on the Roku.

Any ideas why my connection would so much slower with the app open?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
makaiguy
Level 10

Re: Roku Ultra & YoutubeTV buffering/slow connection

Have you tried re-installing the YouTube app?

Remove the app.

Restart your Roku to remove all vestiges of the removed app from memory.  This is important, don't skip this step.

Re-install the app.  If you have a YouTube account, you'll have to re-authenticate your account.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
3Gilchrist
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra & YoutubeTV buffering/slow connection

I have tried uninstalling the app, pulling the power cord for 3-5mins, then reinstalling the app. 

Last night I also ran a network cable from my router directly to the roku ultra. The Roku network test showed showed 30mbps but youtubetv still showed 1.5-2.0mbps. I also bypassed my router and connected directly into my Netgear M1 Nighthawk with the same results.  
0 Kudos