Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crowe-t
Level 7

Roku Ultra Streaming Quality?

I just picked up a Roku Ultra and I'm mainly using it to stream H.264 programs from my PC to my TV.  Using Roku's Media Player program the quality doesn't look that great.

Is there  away to adjust the video quality or is that dependent on the media player used?

I also tried Plex but it only connects to one folder on my external hard drive.  It doesn't see my folder on the PC.  

Is there any other media players that work with Roku I can try?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku Ultra Streaming Quality?

What resolution are the clips/movies you're playing? What kind of TV (is it 4k?).. need more info. If the movies are low quality, they'll look low quality.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
crowe-t
Level 7

I'm recording using a Hauppauge HD-PVR2 from a FIOS cable box.  I record at the highest resolution.  It's about 13.5 Mb/s.  They are H.264 files saved as .MP4.

They play just fine through the TV's App however some of the folders in my PC's external hard drive won't load.  They all load fine using the Roku but the overall playback quality is worse.  Using the Roku Media Player the video stutters a bit on fast motion and it has less contrast then when I play them through the TV's App.  

I have a Sony XBR X900F 4K TV I just bought.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Just a note to others that might respond that you also have the same issue with quality of your videos when using HDMI connected directly from your PC to your TV.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=137796

I suggested there, and still suggest, that the reason it looks good on your PC screen is it's a smaller screen and the defects in the recording aren't as noticeable. When blown up on a larger screen, the quality doesn't look as good.

I don't think it's the player, I think it's the recordings. But, I'm not an expert. However, I do think the experts should look at all of that information when offering help. I do hope you get it all worked out, whether it turns out to be a better player app, or if it means re-doing all your videos to a better quality.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
crowe-t
Level 7

My recordings look great when I play them through the media player that my TV has.  The problem with that player is some of the recordings don't play.  It's a player called Video that's part of the TV's Apps and it has no way to change settings.  Otherwise the recording that it plays look great. 

When the same recording are played with the Roku Media Player they look washed out and sometimes there is a studdering.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"crowe-t" wrote:
My recording look great when I play them through the media player that my TV has.  The problem with that player is some of the recordings don't play.  It's a player called Video that's part of the TV's Apps and it has no way to change settings.  Otherwise the recording that it plays look great. 

When the same recording are played with the Roku Media Player they look washed out and sometimes there is a studdering.

Sorry, I didn't pick up the part about it ever looking good on the TV. My apologies.

With that, though, if some movies play and some don't, it might be worth looking at what's different about those two batches of recordings. Could be something as simple as file size (if the TV player has a size limit, and those that won't play are larger) or it could be certain combinations of things.

Of course, that's the other thread. This one is on the Roku streaming quality.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
crowe-t
Level 7

"crowe-t" wrote:
I'm recording using a Hauppauge HD-PVR2 from a FIOS cable box.  I record at the highest resolution.  It's about 13.5 Mb/s.  They are H.264 files saved as .MP4.

They play just fine through the TV's App however some of the folders in my PC's external hard drive won't load.  They all load fine using the Roku but the overall playback quality is worse.  Using the Roku Media Player the video stutters a bit on fast motion and it has less contrast then when I play them through the TV's App.  

I have a Sony XBR X900F 4K TV I just bought.
0 Kudos
crowe-t
Level 7

I contacted Roku support and they suggested I try changing the display type in the Roku's settings.  It was in the factory setting of 'Auto' which should have detected the display but I suppose it doesn't work so great.  I changed the display type to 4K 60Hz and it now looks perfect.  The contrast looks great and the motion is now smooth.  This solved the problem.

0 Kudos