Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PLEXY
Level 7

Roku Ultra - PLEX issues

I own 2 Roku devices:

-Roku Streaming Stick (3600R)
-Roku Ultra (2017)

The Streaming stick is flawless, works excellent with PLEX, however with the new Roku Ultra I've just received, it seems like it has issues with PLEX, it's very very slow and sluggish, i tried connecting it Wired and Wirelessly, movies load very slow, also it takes a lot of time while seeking a video. I also upgraded it to the latest firmware and streaming locally from a NAS device

Anyone else having the same issue?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - PLEX issues

I do not know why you, along with a few others reported over on the Plex boards, would be having problems related to Plex with your Ultra but I can report that after the updates Roku got out about this time last year for the Ultra my Ultra with Plex has been nearly flawless.

I have noticed that almost all of the reports about Ultra related problems on the Plex boards seem related to advanced audio/video. I use no advanced audio or video and that could be why I have never run into the problems some people report. However I do have to say that there seem to be quite a few folks that are using advanced audio and/or video with their Ultra and are having no problems as well.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
PLEXY
Level 7

That's strange, i mean i've never ran into any problems with the Roku Streaming Stick (3600R), i just tested both devices by watching the same movies and comparing the speeds at the same time, HUGE difference.

I guess the device could be faulty because just a few moments ago, the headphones all of the sudden just got disconnected while watching a movie and was not connecting for a few minutes, the remote's battery level is 90%

This is the first time I've had a problem from a device that i ordered from Amazon, thing is I've never returned anything and have no idea how to and how much it will cost Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"PLEXY" wrote:
That's strange, i mean i've never ran into any problems with the Roku Streaming Stick (3600R), i just tested both devices by watching the same movies and comparing the speeds at the same time, HUGE difference.

I guess the device could be faulty because just a few moments ago, the headphones all of the sudden just got disconnected while watching a movie and was not connecting for a few minutes, the remote's battery level is 90%

This is the first time I've had a problem from a device that i ordered from Amazon, thing is I've never returned anything and have no idea how to and how much it will cost Smiley Sad

In general Amazon returns cost nothing to the customer. They simply replace the defective item or they refund the purchase price plus any tax or shipping. All return shipping is covered by Amazon. That is one of the main reasons I use Amazon much more than any other retail seller either on-line or other.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
PLEXY
Level 7

It is really horrible, now it buffers every 10 seconds on PLEX. Obviously it's defective.

Too bad i can't return it without paying for a return shipping, what a waste...
0 Kudos
Dakotah
Level 7

In the Plex app on your new Ultra, check the video quality setting. Set it to "original". If you have it set to something lower, you may be triggering unnecessary transcoding...which can cause the issues that you're describing.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"PLEXY" wrote:
It is really horrible, now it buffers every 10 seconds on PLEX. Obviously it's defective.

You don't pay return shipping at Amazon.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"twiceover" wrote:
"PLEXY" wrote:

Only mostly true. It depends on who the actual seller is. I bought something that was actually sold by a company in China. It didn't arrive in a timely manner and I requested to return it. I had to pay shipping back to China, which was half the cost of the item.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
"PLEXY" wrote:

Only mostly true. It depends on who the actual seller is. I bought something that was actually sold by a company in China. It didn't arrive in a timely manner and I requested to return it. I had to pay shipping back to China, which was half the cost of the item.

I've had that problem also, but I still don't pay return shipping.  Complain to Amazon and they take care of the rest.  Never contact the seller.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"twiceover" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
"PLEXY" wrote:

I've had that problem also, but I still don't pay return shipping.  Complain to Amazon and they take care of the rest.  Never contact the seller.

The seller has claimed they never received my return, and will not refund the money. They want me to provide tracking information. However, to pay for shipping to China with tracking was over $50, for a $35 product. Amazon has not intervened. For me the amount isn't worth fighting over, but I will no longer buy from Amazon if the seller is overseas.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos