Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Slapshot25
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra Netflix not nearly as good as TV native Netflix app

If you have a tv that will pass through Dolby Digital or DTS via ARC, is there an advantage (in terms of picture or sound quality) of using a Roku Ultra or Premier+ to watch Netflix or Amazon as opposed to using the built in app?

I have a 49" Samsung KS8000 and will be getting a Roku Ultra or Premier+ to replace my 2XS.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
rockou
Level 9

To use ARC on my KS8000 I have to turn on HDMI CEC (Samsung calls it Anynet+) and having that on caused some annoyances. I have all my equipment except xbox one plugged into the receiver and then from there out to the tv on HDMI 4. Sometimes the tv would pop up and say, "You have a new device connected to HDMI 4 do you want to set it up?" So Iturned it off and the tv is just acting like a dumb monitor now, just shows what I send to it, I don't really need to use the remote since I have a Logitech Harmony so I don't want to set up all that stuff.
Having just the Roku is nice cause all the streaming stuff is all together in one spot.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
Highlighted
KenSoren
Level 7

About using an audio receiver to pass thu all components.  That is the way I had it set up for many years and now I have changed my ways. 
When we got the Samsung 65 inch TV I did the same with the Roku, BluRay player and Dish Hopper 3 and passed them thru our Yamaha receiver with Bose surround sound speakers. With the new set we used the built in Netflix and Amazon apps to get the 4K programs, and that made us try the TV speakers. I was surprised to find the TV speakers as good as they are. We could watch a good action program without rocking the framing of our house and could hear what was said much better. So I tried hooking all our equipment directly to the TV with the Yamaha getting sound passed thru by optical cable from the TV. So now if I want we can turn the TV down and use the surround sound system but in almost two months we haven't done that, and we really don't miss all the loud action sequence sound. 
So if you want to cut down on all the spectacular sound affects from your home theater system give your TV speakers a try. And like I said you can always opt to use your receiver whenever you want. I was really surprised and happy I did that. 
Ken S
Roku Ultra, Roku 3, Roku 2 and Roku 1
Samsung 65 inch SUHD KS8000 using Samsung smart hub for all connections.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
haggisbingo
Level 7

"rockou" wrote:
To use ARC on my KS8000 I have to turn on HDMI CEC (Samsung calls it Anynet+) and having that on caused some annoyances. I have all my equipment except xbox one plugged into the receiver and then from there out to the tv on HDMI 4. Sometimes the tv would pop up and say, "You have a new device connected to HDMI 4 do you want to set it up?" So Iturned it off and the tv is just acting like a dumb monitor now, just shows what I send to it, I don't really need to use the remote since I have a Logitech Harmony so I don't want to set up all that stuff.
Having just the Roku is nice cause all the streaming stuff is all together in one spot.

It was little bit of a struggle to smoothly automate CEC LG SmartTV apps (Netflix, Youtube, etc) , Yamaha Receiver, Roku, WDTV, BD\DVD, etc and Harmony Elite Remote to control everything.  But now it's done and we're enjoying!
The bottom line with the Netflix on Roku on our LG OLED was that it was too dark and NO wow factor,  and I'm pretty sure I looked at every single setting and changed where necessary.  I estimate the LG OLED Netflix app about 100x better than the Roku Ultra.  The other apps maybe not as much but still much better than Roku.  Now I can easily switch between the two and it's VERY obvious.
That was the whole reason for integrating the LG smart apps into the rest of the system with the LG smart apps getting the emphasis..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tkdkid717
Level 7

Same deal with me. I have a Sony Bravia XBR65x750d, and the TV's built in apps look much better. All apps on the Roku look darker using HDR. Its less that they look darker, and more that they seem duller. The colors don't pop like they do on the built in TV apps. The FandangoNow app also looks pretty bad for some content (The Bourne movies). I really think the FandangoNow app in particular needs to be given some special attention. All picture settings across the TV are the same, so it should all look the same. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tkdkid717
Level 7

I also have to adjust the gamma crazy amounts to get the Roku HDR content to appear as bright as the TV's Native app's content. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
aaronwt
Level 8

"Tkdkid717" wrote:
Same deal with me. I have a Sony Bravia XBR65x750d, and the TV's built in apps look much better. All apps on the Roku look darker using HDR. Its less that they look darker, and more that they seem duller. The colors don't pop like they do on the built in TV apps. The FandangoNow app also looks pretty bad for some content (The Bourne movies). I really think the FandangoNow app in particular needs to be given some special attention. All picture settings across the TV are the same, so it should all look the same. 

Are you sure you are comparing Apples to Apples, and have the same settings? With my Sony 850C, Netflix HDR content looks identical to the Netflix HDR content from my ROku Ultra. They both look vibrant and very bright. But I also have the settings set the same way for the video apps with HDR as I do with HDR on my ROku Ultra input . 

With the Sony TVs there are separate memory settings for each input as well as several different memory settings for the apps. So if those video app settings aren't set the same as the Roku input, that could be the difference. And then I think there might be an app setting for default internal apps too. Which I think Netflix might fall under. I just know I made sure all of mine were the same. And so they all look just as bright and vibrant with HDR.

Now SDR content from Netflix is another story. Roku Borked the Netflix Black Levels with an update last month.. So I stopped using my ROku Ultra for SDR Netflix content until it gets fixed.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2019 Ultra--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
Highlighted
brainstewn
Level 7

My TLC Roku TV works great particullarly Netflix.  But my older Plasma using a Roku Ultra through a Denon X1300 AVR struggles.  It freezes, sometimes catches up but sometimes doesn't.

4640X Roku Ultra
YP00C1285881
8.1.0 Build 4145-29
7LC68C285881
MicroSD 5% used of 32gig

Thank you in advance for helping me solve this
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jontalk
Level 8

"haggisbingo" wrote:
i'v got an LG OLED and a Roku Ultra.  The native LG Netflix app is simply amazing.  But the Roku's picture is noticeably darker and less sharp.  

I have enabled all of the settings on each component to allow for the highest definition.  

I would like to see the Roku Ultra match the LG's native Netflix app in quality but it's nowhere close right now.  Is it possibly an hdr10 vs. Dolby Vision issue??

This is interesting to me though I have a Roku 3 connected indirectly to my LG OLED via the Marantz SR-6005 AVR. Netflix, Vudu, and all movie channels look terrific due to a high speed wired connection, though I've never tried using the native LG Netflix app for comparison. i wonder if the problem is the Ultra or something else. I'll give the native app a try but really don't expect it to be that much better since I don't have the Netflix family plan that includes 4K
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos