Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haggisbingo
Level 7

Roku Ultra Netflix not nearly as good as TV native Netflix app

i'v got an LG OLED and a Roku Ultra.  The native LG Netflix app is simply amazing.  But the Roku's picture is noticeably darker and less sharp.  

I have enabled all of the settings on each component to allow for the highest definition.  

I would like to see the Roku Ultra match the LG's native Netflix app in quality but it's nowhere close right now.  Is it possibly an hdr10 vs. Dolby Vision issue??
0 Kudos
18 Replies
rockou
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra Netflix not nearly as good as TV native Netflix app

I have noticed the same thing with my Samsung tv. The Netflix app on the TV is a little brighter and sharper. It may be in my mind but the Roku update to 7.5.1 and the new updated Netflix app brought it closer to the built in Netflix app on the Samsung tv.
Have you noticed a better picture with the Roku updates as well?
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
haggisbingo
Level 7

"rockou" wrote:
I have noticed the same thing with my Samsung tv. The Netflix app on the TV is a little brighter and sharper. It may be in my mind but the Roku update to 7.5.1 and the new updated Netflix app brought it closer to the built in Netflix app on the Samsung tv.
Have you noticed a better picture with the Roku updates as well?

Better seemingly but still not the wow(!) factor that you get with the tv native app, at least for me.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

I've never found the Roku Netflix to be all that great.  At least not in comparison to sitting at my desk with an actual PC.  Grainy picture and poor gradient darks.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"twiceover" wrote:
I've never found the Roku Netflix to be all that great.  At least not in comparison to sitting at my desk with an actual PC.  Grainy picture and poor gradient darks.

Might that be an issue with your TV compared to your monitor, though?
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Might that be an issue with your TV compared to your monitor, though?

Not the gradients, that's for sure.  Maybe the graininess, but I don't see that on high quality streams from Plex.  Also I've noticed this through 3 different Roku units and 3 different TVs.  I mean it is "fine" but I'm certainly not impressed with the quality.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 9

"haggisbingo" wrote:

Better seemingly but still not the wow(!) factor that you get with the tv native app, at least for me.

Agreed. It has gotten better with the Roku but still not as good as the native app on the Samsung either. The native apps may be in 24 fps though while the Roku always outputs 60 so the conversion process may be somewhat to blame.
0 Kudos
netnothing
Level 11

I have a Samsung KS9000 and the Ultra - for me each app in the Ultra is equally as good as the built in app to the TV.  I'm wondering if there is a setting that's messed up for you, as it shouldn't be nearly as bad as you mention.

Netflix 4K can be iffy, but that's with any 4K app.  A lot of the Marvel shows have grain added to them - so honestly to me I don't see the 4K difference on any app.

I'd look at The Grand Tour on Amazon.  It's UHD HDR.  Compare the native app and the Roku and see if there is a difference.  Also with Netflix, make sure the TV is getting the 4K stream and any HDR - that's more difficult now that Netflix took away the info box.  On the Samsung, when HDR is activated, the backlight goes to 20, so you know the TV is handling things.

I use shows like The Blacklist and Marco Polo to see Netflix quality.  As I said, the Marvel shows have a lot of graininess in them.

EDIT: also make sure your TV settings are in sync with the Roku input.  On the Samsung, you can have settings for each input.  So if I was to setup the built in apps, I could have different settings for the device in HDMI (which if not set, might default to the out of the box settings).

-Kevin
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 9

I don't watch the marvel shows and graininess isn't the issue for me.
I can't watch that Grand Tour show on Amazon because I don't have Prime.
The HDR setting is the same for native app when watching HDR as it is for the Roku when watching HDR.
I know I am getting HDR because the drop down comes up to tell me and yes the backlight maxes out.

I usually test by watching The Do Over at the part where they are on the boat where it is nice and bright. Also when they are at the outside bar with the nice greenery and colorfulness.
The native app just looks a little brighter and more colorful. It isn't that the Roku looks bad, it looks really good. Just not quite as good as the native app.
0 Kudos
KenSoren
Level 7

I have a new Samsung 65 inch KS800D set with a new Roku Ultra attached. The Netflix app on the TV lasted about a week before freezing up but the Amazon app works great and really shows off the 4K HDR picture. The Netflix app on the Samsung did the same until it stopped working, so I depend on the Roku for Netflix. After the latest - within the last week - 7.5.1 update the Roku Netflix does an excellent job, but it reverts every night to 7.2.1 and I need to update everyday to the 7.5.1 software. Hopefully this little bug will be fixed soon but otherwise my Ultra is working really well. 
If you are interested is seeing a good exercise in color watch the introduction to the Jessica Jones series episode 1 and 1st season. Really fantastic display of color and design! 
Ken S
Roku Ultra, Roku 3, Roku 2 and Roku 1
Samsung 65 inch SUHD KS8000 using Samsung smart hub for all connections.
0 Kudos