Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaDDz
Level 7

Roku Ultra Netflix Hangs At 25%

Had the Ultra for a couple months now and it works great.  Using Netflix and Plex mostly.  The past couple days Neflix has had problems.  When selecting anything it slowly buffers to 25% and hangs.  Tried restarting, log out, log in of both Roku and Netflix and eventually it corrects.  Appears to random at this point.  I've seen a number of post for other Roku models with the same issue.  Is this a Roku or Netflix issue?  Ultra last updated 11/22 to ver 7.2.2 if I remember right.
Sony Bravia KDL-50W800B
Sonos Surround 5.1Sound System
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
0 Kudos
12 Replies
knuckle
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra Netflix Hangs At 25%

It is a combination issue of netflix and Roku --- one that needs to be fixed ASAP or when Christmas hits there is going to be a storm of unhappy customers
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
DaDDz
Level 7

"knuckle" wrote:
It is a combination issue of netflix and Roku --- one that needs to be fixed ASAP or when Christmas hits there is going to be a storm of unhappy customers

I've seen it's fixed with 7.5.  So far I'm not seeing the update.  Any way to force it?
Sony Bravia KDL-50W800B
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

Not available on the new line up yet  Hopefully soon -- I have some Express issues with the same issue and jumping through these hoops sucks lemons
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
DaDDz
Level 7

"knuckle" wrote:
Not available on the new line up yet  Hopefully soon -- I have some Express issues with the same issue and jumping through these hoops sucks lemons

I just updated to 7.5.1.  Not sure if this forced it, but I unplugged the Ultra, plug it back in, had it check for updates and there it was.  Will be checking later to confirm the Netflix problem is gone.
Sony Bravia KDL-50W800B
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
0 Kudos
ginahoy
Level 7

My Roku 3 (4200X) started hanging @ 25% on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. I mostly watch netflix but it does it on other channels as well. I had to cycle the power every time this happened.

7.5.0 loaded on the 12th and all seemed to be fine until today, it hung at 25% again. I tried "check network connection" in the netflix menu. It finds the three servers immediately but the internet connection "fails" and reports 0 MBS speed. At the same time, my Roku 2 XS operated normally. Sigh. What I can't figure out is why others aren't reporting problems. Is my R3 defective?
0 Kudos
DaDDz
Level 7

"ginahoy" wrote:
My Roku 3 (4200X) started hanging @ 25% on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. I mostly watch netflix but it does it on other channels as well. I had to cycle the power every time this happened.

7.5.0 loaded on the 12th and all seemed to be fine until today, it hung at 25% again. I tried "check network connection" in the netflix menu. It finds the three servers immediately but the internet connection "fails" and reports 0 MBS speed. At the same time, my Roku 2 XS operated normally. Sigh. What I can't figure out is why others aren't reporting problems. Is my R3 defective?

I updated my Ultra to 7.5 and have had one incidence of the hang at 25% so far, so I don't think it's was fixed.  It only seems to occur when I  hit play right away.  If I let it auto start it seems ok.  Haven't had time to test it continually since updating.
Sony Bravia KDL-50W800B
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
0 Kudos
ginahoy
Level 7

"DaDDz" wrote:
It only seems to occur when I  hit play right away.  If I let it auto start it seems ok.  Haven't had time to test it continually since updating.

I don't think playing immediately has anything to do with it. Are you saying when your ultra hangs at 25%, you can back up and let it auto-load, and it works??

In my case, it affects all channels. The last 3 or 4 times it hangs, I ran the Netflix 'check network' utility. Interestingly, even though it immediately finds the 3 NF servers, it fails at the Internet Connection step and reports 0 MBS. Last night I also checked the network from the Roku main screen and it reported "connected" with "very good" signal. Yet I can't access any channel. All this while my wife is watching a show on R2 XS. Cycling the power clears the problem.

Hanging seems to be highly random. Last night was the first event since 7.5.0 loaded on Dec 12. Before then, it was happening on the order of daily for at least a week.
0 Kudos
DaDDz
Level 7

"ginahoy" wrote:
"DaDDz" wrote:
It only seems to occur when I  hit play right away.  If I let it auto start it seems ok.  Haven't had time to test it continually since updating.

I don't think playing immediately has anything to do with it. Are you saying when your ultra hangs at 25%, you can back up and let it auto-load, and it works??

The one time it happened after the update, yes that's what I did.  Before the update, power cycle, sometimes more than once fixed it.  I agree it is very random.
Sony Bravia KDL-50W800B
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
0 Kudos
ginahoy
Level 7

"DaDDz" wrote:
It only seems to occur when I  hit play right away.  If I let it auto start it seems ok...

My R3 hung at 25% again today. I remembered what you said about auto-start, but I realized that only happens when you watch until the end of one ep and let it automatically continue to the next ep. However, when it hangs, I don't see a way to start an episode to get it into position to auto-start the next ep
  :?

Edit: I just noticed if I select a title and wait long enough, it will auto-start either from the beginning or the spot where I previous stopped. I hadn't noticed this before since there's no visual cue that it will auto-start, so I always make an affirmative selection. Next time my R3 hangs, I'll wait to see if it auto-starts.

Update: two hangs later, no auto-start... which makes sense given that the R3 fails the NF network diagnostics, despite the fact that the R2 continues to operate normally.
0 Kudos