Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KarenA
Level 7

Roku Ultra, I think!

Hi All,
I'm doing my best to figure this out but need some confirmation to make sure I understand.

My goal is to reduce costs with Xfinity who currently provides my Internet, TV, security, etc. At the moment I have all the premium channels with Xfinity and found that I can save by subscribing to Hulu and adding the premiums with them. I want to have local live TV, Cloud recording and the ability to watch on multiple TVs which means I would be subscribing to the higher cost plan. My main TV is a 4K but isn't new enough to get local live channels from Hulu. So... if I add a Roku Ultra to that TV, will the Roku "fool" Hulu and allow me to get the local live stations along with the other functions I mentioned? And would I be able to record to the Cloud using this setup, i.e., record a live newscast, as an example?

If I want the same capabilities on my secondary TVs, would I add additional Roku Ultras to accomplish this?  

I hope this makes sense to someone as I really need some reassurance that I am on the correct path. Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku Ultra, I think!

"KarenA" wrote:
Hi All,
I'm doing my best to figure this out but need some confirmation to make sure I understand.

My goal is to reduce costs with Xfinity who currently provides my Internet, TV, security, etc. At the moment I have all the premium channels with Xfinity and found that I can save by subscribing to Hulu and adding the premiums with them. I want to have local live TV, Cloud recording and the ability to watch on multiple TVs which means I would be subscribing to the higher cost plan. My main TV is a 4K but isn't new enough to get local live channels from Hulu.

The TV has nothing to do with getting live channels from Hulu. That's up to what Hulu with Live TV (that's the $40 service) has arranged with your local/regional channels.
"KarenA" wrote:
So... if I add a Roku Ultra to that TV, will the Roku "fool" Hulu and allow me to get the local live stations along with the other functions I mentioned?

Nope. One has nothing to do with the other. See previous.
"KarenA" wrote:
And would I be able to record to the Cloud using this setup, i.e., record a live newscast, as an example?

"Recording to the cloud" is determined by whether or not the streaming service offers it. Roku doesn't matter. The service you subscribe to is what's important.
"KarenA" wrote:
If I want the same capabilities on my secondary TVs, would I add additional Roku Ultras to accomplish this?  

Every identical Roku on the same account at the same location would have the same functionality.
"KarenA" wrote:
I hope this makes sense to someone as I really need some reassurance that I am on the correct path. Thanks.

What you may want to do is look at a locals only package from Comcast. I have local channels from Comcast (just the regular broadcast stations from Savannah) and stream everything else. I use Hulu (standard on-demand $8/month service) to watch stuff I don't watch live (which is everything). I had to go into the local Comcast office and ask them if they had such a thing. They're helpful at the local office and set me right up.

One thing about Hulu that I want to make sure you understand is that Hulu offers two services. Regular Hulu (on-demand) is $8/month. That's the service where the shows appear available for viewing the next morning. Some go away after 30 days, others stick around forever. Depends on the agreement Hulu has with the broadcasting network.

The other service is Hulu with Live TV. That's $40/month, and includes the $8 Hulu service. Essentially, it's a $32 add-on to regular Hulu. That's the one that lets you see live content from various channels, including locals (maybe; I get the Savannah ABC, CBS, Fox stations, but not NBC). It's a mini cable package delivered via the Internet.

Hulu with Live TV includes 50 hours of DVR storage. You don't need to use any cloud storage if it's something that'll show up on Hulu on-demand anyway, as long as you watch it within 30 days.

You can add HBO for $15/month. But then again, you can get HBO all by itself for $15/month (HBO NOW). Cinemax is $10/month add-on and Showtime is $9/month add-on.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
flamebird
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"KarenA" wrote:
Hi All,

My goal is to reduce costs with Xfinity who currently provides my Internet, TV, security, etc. At the moment I have all the premium channels with Xfinity and found that I can save by subscribing to Hulu and adding the premiums with them. I want to have local live TV, Cloud recording and the ability to watch on multiple TVs which means I would be subscribing to the higher cost plan. My main TV is a 4K but isn't new enough to get local live channels from Hulu.

The TV has nothing to do with getting live channels from Hulu. That's up to what Hulu with Live TV (that's the $40 service) has arranged with your local/regional channels.
"KarenA" wrote:
So... if I add a Roku Ultra to that TV, will the Roku "fool" Hulu and allow me to get the local live stations along with the other functions I mentioned?

Nope. One has nothing to do with the other. See previous.
"KarenA" wrote:
And would I be able to record to the Cloud using this setup, i.e., record a live newscast, as an example?

"Recording to the cloud" is determined by whether or not the streaming service offers it. Roku doesn't matter. The service you subscribe to is what's important.
"KarenA" wrote:

Every identical Roku on the same account at the same location would have the same functionality.
"KarenA" wrote:

What you may want to do is look at a locals only package from Comcast. I have local channels from Comcast (just the regular broadcast stations from Savannah) and stream everything else. I use Hulu (standard on-demand $8/month service) to watch stuff I don't watch live (which is everything). I had to go into the local Comcast office and ask them if they had such a thing. They're helpful at the local office and set me right up.

One thing about Hulu that I want to make sure you understand is that Hulu offers two services. Regular Hulu (on-demand) is $8/month. That's the service where the shows appear available for viewing the next morning. Some go away after 30 days, others stick around forever. Depends on the agreement Hulu has with the broadcasting network.

The other service is Hulu with Live TV. That's $40/month, and includes the $8 Hulu service. Essentially, it's a $32 add-on to regular Hulu. That's the one that lets you see live content from various channels, including locals (maybe; I get the Savannah ABC, CBS, Fox stations, but not NBC). It's a mini cable package delivered via the Internet.

Hulu with Live TV includes 50 hours of DVR storage. You don't need to use any cloud storage if it's something that'll show up on Hulu on-demand anyway, as long as you watch it within 30 days.

You can add HBO for $15/month. But then again, you can get HBO all by itself for $15/month (HBO NOW). Cinemax is $10/month add-on and Showtime is $9/month add-on.

I'm not clear on this.  He may mean that he has a "Smart" TV that won't run the Hulu app with live TV.  In that case; then yes the Roku would run the modern Hulu that includes live TV and work fine for your TV.
So basically; we need to know "what" won't work .
0 Kudos
KarenA
Level 7

I bought my TV last year thinking it was the newest technology, however, it has a manufacture date of 2015. That's the reason I can't get live TV from Hulu. They require manufacture after 2016. At least that's what the rep told me when I called.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Roku Ultra supports Hulu with Live TV. https://www.hulu.com/start/devices
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)