Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guitarboy
Level 8

Roku Ultra Experience with Universal Media Server (UMS)

I've seen a couple of posts on this forum about problems using UMS with Roku, but I can't tell from those discussions if those are unique issues or general incompatibility.

So can anyone confirm if the following setup will work:

• UMS running on a Windows PC

• Most media is MKV with AAC, AC3, E-AC3, or DTS

• My receiver can handle passthrough of some of these formats, but not all of them.  If I don't get sound from a file, I just choose a transcoded version (UMS can be set up to serve both transcoded and non-transcoded versions of a file, and you can choose at runtime)

• I plan to use the headphone jack on the Roku Ultra remote for private listening.  Will any of the audio formats have a problem with that?

I'm currently using a WDTV box which works well with UMS, but I really want that private listening feature.

I know that Serviio now has Roku specific profiles, but UMS also offers the option of transcoding a file into chapters on the fly.  Since FF/Rew doesn't work with transcoding, chapter-jumping can be a useful workaround.  I like Serviio, but I'm going to continue using UMS until Serviio also has a fix or workaround for FF/Rew.

Any advice would be more than welcome.

Also, the Ultra appears to no longer be sold in Canada, so I'll be getting a US version.  Will there be any problem using the US model for streaming services in Canada (Netflix, Youtube, etc.)?
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra Experience with Universal Media Server (UMS)

"guitarboy" wrote:
Also, the Ultra appears to no longer be sold in Canada, so I'll be getting a US version.  Will there be any problem using the US model for streaming services in Canada (Netflix, Youtube, etc.)?

Possibly. The app creators -- Roku rarely makes apps -- determine what services are available on what devices in what areas. That is unrelated to whether or not the service is otherwise available. There are some countries where Netflix is available in general, but Netflix hasn't authorized its app on Roku to work, and it doesn't.

In the U.K., BBC didn't allow one of their apps to work on a device not sold in-country. That doesn't mean other companies would do that in other countries, but it's certainly possible. Whether or not any service would do that in Canada for devices not sold there, I don't know.

I'm not saying any of this will happen, but you should be aware of that possibility if you decide to go off-market for a device.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 8

• My receiver can handle passthrough of some of these formats, but not all of them.  If I don't get sound from a file, I just choose a transcoded version (UMS can be set up to serve both transcoded and non-transcoded versions of a file, and you can choose at runtime)

I should have mentioned that the Roku will be connected directly to the receiver via HDMI.
Level 13

"guitarboy" wrote:

I should have mentioned that the Roku will be connected directly to the receiver via HDMI.

Roku players can passthrough AC3/DD and DTS lossy audio via HDMI. 2 channel AAC is converted to PCM. 5.1 AAC is converted to stereo PCM, but only with Roku TVs and the model 4640 Ultra. No other Roku player can handle 5.1 AAC. See this page for more complete codec support information. But note that this page is not 100% complete. Roku also supports the TS container (.ts and .m2ts), and H.262 video is now supported on the recent 4K players, such as the Ultra 4640 and 4660. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

All Roku players except Roku-3/2 and some earlier Rokus can do AAC5.1->Stereo
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Thanks for the clarification Dale. Smiley Happy All that support page says is "some" players.  :roll:
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos