Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guitarboy
Streaming Star

Roku Ultra Experience with Universal Media Server (UMS)

I've seen a couple of posts on this forum about problems using UMS with Roku, but I can't tell from those discussions if those are unique issues or general incompatibility.

So can anyone confirm if the following setup will work:

• UMS running on a Windows PC

• Most media is MKV with AAC, AC3, E-AC3, or DTS

• My receiver can handle passthrough of some of these formats, but not all of them.  If I don't get sound from a file, I just choose a transcoded version (UMS can be set up to serve both transcoded and non-transcoded versions of a file, and you can choose at runtime)

• I plan to use the headphone jack on the Roku Ultra remote for private listening.  Will any of the audio formats have a problem with that?

I'm currently using a WDTV box which works well with UMS, but I really want that private listening feature.

I know that Serviio now has Roku specific profiles, but UMS also offers the option of transcoding a file into chapters on the fly.  Since FF/Rew doesn't work with transcoding, chapter-jumping can be a useful workaround.  I like Serviio, but I'm going to continue using UMS until Serviio also has a fix or workaround for FF/Rew.

Any advice would be more than welcome.

Also, the Ultra appears to no longer be sold in Canada, so I'll be getting a US version.  Will there be any problem using the US model for streaming services in Canada (Netflix, Youtube, etc.)?