Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Webjunky
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 Stuttering Audio on YouTube

Jump to solution

I solved this problem on my Roku 2020 and LG to.  See my post here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Roku-Ultra-2020-Stuttering-Audio-on-YouTube/m...

0 Kudos
Akoyer
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you. I did try this, but unfortunately it did not work for me.

0 Kudos
Rbatten
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had same issue, brand new Roku ultra 2020 model running firmware version 9.4.1 build 4200-c2 and brand new LG CX 77. The audio would drop out about every other second only while watching the YouTube app, all other apps seem to work flawlessly, almost like the mute button was being pressed about every second and then unmuted. I contacted Roku customer service via the chat app the representative had me remove the YouTube app restart the Roku from the menu reinstall the YouTube app still same audio issue it only happens on the YouTube app all other apps audio works fine and the YouTube app launched directly from the LG TV plays fine. I have the Roku soundbar the Roku surround sound speakers and the Roku subwoofer hooked to this system. The only work around I found to work was to enter the Roku settings and change the audio HDMI setting from Auto detect to Dolby digital plus DTS, it also seemed to work on PCM stereo but I chose the Dolby digital setting and the surround sound speakers and subwoofer continue to work. I asked the tech on the chat app to issue a bug report about this he said he would send it to the concern team, whatever that is! Hope this helps someone!

0 Kudos
michaeljnemo
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have an LG OLED55CXPUA and Roku 4K 2020 model and found a solution to the YouTube stuttering problem. 

In Settings, under Audio/HDMI, I tried all of the 7 different choices;

These don't work: Audio detect, Audio passthrough and PCM-stereo.

The 4 Dolby Digital choices do work.

I tried a few other apps to be sure the Dolby Digital setting didn't have any side-effects.  The TV itself still recognizes the the Roku input as DolbyVision, but the annoying DolbyVision tag in the upper right-hand corner isn't popping up in YouTube, as it was before.  Maybe YouTube app is just not recognizing the input as DolbyVision anymore, but my eyes aren't good enough to tell the difference.

I would think that the Dolby Digital audio protocols would be part of the whole DolbyVision package.  The 2020 LG CX models now use Dolby Vision "IQ", so maybe the programmers at YouTube or Roku haven't caught up with the "IQ" version of DolbyVision. 

0 Kudos
krisbsca
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue, and I have a Samsung TV, not an LG. When you start a YouTube video via the Roku, it almost sounds like a cassette tape fast forwarding for about two seconds before the audio normalizes. This was going on for weeks. Today, audio through the Roku has completely failed, and we need to use the soundbar. Help! 

0 Kudos
michaeljnemo
Level 7

Jump to solution

On my LG TV, I get a few seconds of total silence, after which the audio plays normally.  This is after I changed my ROKU audio selection to one of the digital modes.

0 Kudos
DarkSquig
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just getting on the thread to report I'm having the same issue: stuttering sound in Youtube streaming on a Roku Ultra 2020. My TV is LG CX65OLED that I just hooked up today. Things that have tried:

Updating TV firmware to latest version.

Uninstalling and reinstalling YouTube

Moving Roku to another HDMI port

Changing audio settings within Roku

Changing port audio settings in TV

I'm hesitant to be too aggressive in changing settings on roku or the tv because I don't want to cripple other apps audio performance since the Roku is my main streaming device.

Please let me know if a fix becomes available

0 Kudos
phxkona
Level 7

Jump to solution

i thought it was just me. YouTube and Spotify are the only two apps I've noticed that are having audio issues. i went back to Walmart  to exchange the unit thinking the unit was defective but the issue is still occurring. All other apps such as YouTube TV, Netflix and Disney + are not having the same audio issues. I've switched HDMI ports and cables, uninstalled/reinstalled YouTube and Spotify, restarted the unit multiple times a day, changed the volume leveling to Off - it is beyond frustrating. I've been an Apple TV user up to this point and decided to purchase an Ultra 2020 and the Roku Premiere for our TVs the day before Thanksgiving. I was already upset that Walmart sold these at regular prices instead of Black Friday prices.  The Premiere is working fine .. the Ultra is have one having these issues. I am adding to this thread to help add to frustration many users are experiencing with this issue in hopes to have Spotify, YouTube or Roku come up with some sort of fix.

0 Kudos
marshalltech81
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am also having the same issue on my LG CX 77 in TV.  However my setup is a DVD player and Roku Ultra being fed into a Philips Hue HDMI Sync Box and that is plugged into the TV.  And the TV is connected to a Sonos Arc Soundbar.  I notice that when I use the Philips Hue Sync Box to switch between the DVD player and Roku Ultra 2020, the DVD player itself will also studder audio.  This makes me think the issue is with the software on the TV and not necessarily a Roku one.   

0 Kudos
michaeljnemo
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Marshall,

I had a 2019 Roku feeding the LG TV before switching it out for the 2020 model.  I have the Roku attached to the TV which passes the sound, via HDMI, to a receiver.

I didn't have any problems with 2019 Roku.  The stuttering and then the 2 second delay on YouTube only began when I attached the 2020 Roku.

I tried different sound settings again, turning the TV off and on, and at some point the 2 second delay went away.  I now have the video set to 4K Dolby Vision and HDMI audio passthrough, which I had set up initially, and YouTube is not having any problems.  

It may have been some combination of changing settings and multiple restarts that fixed it, but it's all good now.

0 Kudos