Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R): Why isn't Netflix providing DV/DA for "The Irishman" etc.??

Jump to solution

Brand new pre-ordered Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) arrived today. I set it up and all seems fine.  Content from Netflix which shows as HDR definitely plays as HDR/HDR10 (as confirmed by the "badges" presented on my LG OLEDC9).  And audio is 5.1.

However I don't see that Netflix is providing Dolby Vision video and Dolby Atmos audio, for example using "The Irishman" which I absolutely know IS provided through Apple TV+ 4K in DV+DA.

So it would appear the Netflix app present on the brand new Roku 2020 has not been correctly enabled licensed with Netflix to ask for DV+DA. The reason I bought this 2020 model was specifically to get DV+DA. While the hardware may now be capable of putting it out, if the app itself isn't also updated to support DV+DA perhaps that's the explanation for this result.

Anybody else have a new Roku 2020? Can you find DV+DA from Netflix or any other streaming source? Is there something special in Roku Setup that needs to be done??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R): Why isn't Netflix providing DV/DA for "The Irishman" etc.??

Jump to solution

Well, I've now solved the Dolby Atmos audio problem.

Once again, it is routing the HDMI output from the Roku Ultra 2020 through the external HDMI input of the Oppo 203 which was the cause of the issue.  When I routed the Roku HDMI output directly into my audio processor (which is capable of accepting Dolby Atmos bitstream input) sure enough I now see "Dolby Atmos" in the Netflix info for "The Irishman".

And of course this direct HDMI routing (i.e. not passing through the Oppo) also retains the "Dolby Vision".

Bottom line: if I connect the Roku Ultra 2020 the same way I had the ATV4K connected, it all works perfectly. Netflix on the Roku provides both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Also, I did a comparison of the brightness from Dolby Vision via Roku vs. ATV4K. They actually are identical. The reason I though the Roku DV was dark was simply because of all the input back-and-forth switching I'd been doing to try to compare the two sources. I think I may have been seeing HDR source coming from the Roku instead of Dolby Vision, but I'm not sure. In any case once I got everything settled down and cabled correctly the video is perfect, and DV brightness from Roku is perfect. This was a non-problem.

Ok. I've now completely removed the ATV4K from the setup. I had only purchased it in the first place because my Roku Ultra 2019 and 2018 models didn't have DV+DA, which I wanted.  But now that the Ultra 2020 does finally have DV+DA I have ZERO need for the ATV4K. And besides, I hate its remote and GUI. So I have eliminated the ATV4K and will put it up for resale. The Roku Ultra 2020 now takes it "dedicated" place, not going through the Oppo but simply being its own independent A/V source that is also capable of DV+DA as well as regular HDR 4K and Dolby Digital+ audio.

Saves a few cables as well, to reduce the "rats nest".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R): Why isn't Netflix providing DV/DA for "The Irishman" etc.??

Jump to solution

Ok. I've been able to solve my own Dolby Vision failure problem.

I feed the HDMI output from the Roku to the external HDMI input of my Oppo UDP-203 player. The HDMI output of the Oppo then goes to the HDMI input of my Yamaha RX-A860 AVR, and the HDMI output of the AVR goes to my LG OLED C9.

The "solution" to having the Roku Ultra 2020 recognize that my setup supports Dolby Vision was to use the "HDMI IN BYPASS" option for the external HDMI input of the Oppo, rather than the"HDMI IN". This "bypass" option is specifically for a situation like mine, where the external source feeding the Oppo is (or at least can) providing Dolby Vision content.  The "bypass" circuitry lets the external device talk straight through the Oppo and on to the TV at the end of the HDMI chain, without any interference or processing by the Oppo.

Sure enough, when I re-ran the Roku display setup it now showed "4K HDR (Dolby Vision)" which it hadn't before.  And now, sure enough, when I go to the Roku Netflix app and look at "The Irishman", there is now "Dolby Vision" shown as the video format.

And sure enough, when I play the film the "Dolby Vision" badge lights up on the LG OLED C9.

So this is the "trick" to getting Dolby Vision from the new Roku Ultra 2020, at least when the HDMI pathway includes traveling through the Oppo 203. You must use the "HDMI IN BYPASS" setting of the Oppo, and then all is well. I really knew that already, but it hadn't occurred to me earlier.

However, I still only show 5.1 audio. My setup supports Dolby Atmos audio from Netflix, but that was when using the ATV4K which does not go through the Oppo. Instead, the ATV4K goes directly to an audio processor which supports bitstream audio and Dolby Atmos.

The HDMI pathway for audio from Roku through the Oppo still goes through the same audio processor, but for some reason the Netflix "device discovery is not responding the same way. So only 5.1 audio, not Dolby Atmos.

I will continue to pursue this. But at least I have Dolby Vision. Looks much darker than the exact same film via ATV4K, and Dolby Vision so I will investigate this difference further. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any difference whatsoever. We shall see what the explanation is here, or is it just my memory and they're actually identical.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well, I've now solved the Dolby Atmos audio problem.

Once again, it is routing the HDMI output from the Roku Ultra 2020 through the external HDMI input of the Oppo 203 which was the cause of the issue.  When I routed the Roku HDMI output directly into my audio processor (which is capable of accepting Dolby Atmos bitstream input) sure enough I now see "Dolby Atmos" in the Netflix info for "The Irishman".

And of course this direct HDMI routing (i.e. not passing through the Oppo) also retains the "Dolby Vision".

Bottom line: if I connect the Roku Ultra 2020 the same way I had the ATV4K connected, it all works perfectly. Netflix on the Roku provides both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Also, I did a comparison of the brightness from Dolby Vision via Roku vs. ATV4K. They actually are identical. The reason I though the Roku DV was dark was simply because of all the input back-and-forth switching I'd been doing to try to compare the two sources. I think I may have been seeing HDR source coming from the Roku instead of Dolby Vision, but I'm not sure. In any case once I got everything settled down and cabled correctly the video is perfect, and DV brightness from Roku is perfect. This was a non-problem.

Ok. I've now completely removed the ATV4K from the setup. I had only purchased it in the first place because my Roku Ultra 2019 and 2018 models didn't have DV+DA, which I wanted.  But now that the Ultra 2020 does finally have DV+DA I have ZERO need for the ATV4K. And besides, I hate its remote and GUI. So I have eliminated the ATV4K and will put it up for resale. The Roku Ultra 2020 now takes it "dedicated" place, not going through the Oppo but simply being its own independent A/V source that is also capable of DV+DA as well as regular HDR 4K and Dolby Digital+ audio.

Saves a few cables as well, to reduce the "rats nest".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos