Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dean9999
Level 7

Roku TV / Netflix slow navigation

I have a TCL model 75R615 TV, Software 9.0.0, Build 4151.30. My Netflix is version 4.2, Build 81179030. Bandwidth is steady 60mbs.

When I stop on a tile(a), the app begins loading a trailer of the movie; great idea. But, if I don’t want to wait for the trailer from tile(a) to finish loading by clicking to the next tile(b), it sometimes won’t move the highlight selector until the previous trailer finishes loading. And if I really want to mess things up, after clicking the next tile(b), I can click tile(c), (d), etc.

In fewer words, while loading the trailer from tile(a), when I select tile(b), it should STOP loading the tile(a) trailer sand go to the next tile. Are there other users experiencing the same frustration?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku TV / Netflix slow navigation

It sounds like you are inside the Netflix app/channel, not the Roku home screen. Everything that happens inside the app is the responsibility of Netflix. Many people have complained about the auto-play previews, but Netflix doesn't seem to care. There's nothing you can do to stop it. However, when I had a Netflix account, I don't recall having any issue moving from one title to another, even on my lower powered Roku devices. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dean9999
Level 7

Thanks atc. I called Netflix customer service before I posted here and they told me the problem was with my television. Your answer makes more sense. I’ll go try to find a place to vent to Netflix.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"dean9999" wrote:
Thanks atc. I called Netflix customer service before I posted here and they told me the problem was with my television. Your answer makes more sense. I’ll go try to find a place to vent to Netflix.

I have seen the same sluggish navigation issues with Netflix on all of my TCL Roku-enabled TV's from time to time. It really does seem to be all the auto-preview nonsense that Netflix insists on peppering us with when all we want to do is scroll thru the home page in silence. It normally presents rather quickly when I first enter the Netflix app and try to move from tile to tile. When it happens I normally return to the Roku Home Screen and then go into SETTINGS - SYSTEM - POWER - SYSTEM RESTART and reboot the TV. I normally get a better response after a reboot, but not always. I don't think any of my Roku TV's are that under powered and it only seems to present with Netflix.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
dean9999
Level 7

In the Netflix forum I found that this issue has been known for at least 3 years. But there is still no fix. One would think that would be enough time to address the issue. It seems to me that it would be simple enough to put an option in account settings to enable users to turn off auto-loading of trailers. Hopefully someone reading this can shed more light on the problem or point to another conversation with more information.
0 Kudos