Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shylaafayee
Level 7

Roku TV Black screen when trying to watch any video on FreeForm Channel

Hello, I have an Insignia Roku Tv. I am able to see the display of the screen. I select an app such as Netflix/Hulu/Freeform and I can still see everything on the screen. However, when I click to watch a movie or to watch Live Tv on the FreeForm app, there is no video. The screen is black, I am able to hear what’s playing but I can’t see anything. The subtitles are showing up on the movies but the screen is completely black. 
I have tried unplugging, restarting, and uninstalling/installing the apps already. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Black screen when trying to watch any video

@Shylaafayee 

Thanks for the post.

Please make sure when removing a channel, that you restart your Roku TV before adding the channel back again.

Are you only experiencing this issue on the FreeForm channel? For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact FreeForm support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach FreeForm support here: https://support.freeform.com/hc/en-us 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Bhines
Level 7

I am having the same problem.  It is with any app or even my antenna tv.  No picture when you choose a movie or select a channel.  I have a Sharp Roku Tv.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Bhines 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? Are you able to hear sound when you try to watch content and see a blank screen?

Some customers have reported that unplugging their TV for 5-10 minutes then plugging it back in resolved their issue, have you tried that?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
pha
Level 7

Re: Roku TV Black screen when trying to watch any video on FreeForm Channel

I am having exactly the same problem.  It is only occurring with my roku device, and not with normal cable/antenna TV.  I have a relatively new Roku high-speed streaming stick that is connected to the HDMI port.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@pha 

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
S-M_Gies15
Level 7

@Shylaafayee wrote:

Hello, I have an Insignia Roku Tv. I am able to see the display of the screen. I select an app such as Netflix/Hulu/Freeform and I can still see everything on the screen. However, when I click to watch a movie or to watch Live Tv on the FreeForm app, there is no video. The screen is black, I am able to hear what’s playing but I can’t see anything. The subtitles are showing up on the movies but the screen is completely black. 
I have tried unplugging, restarting, and uninstalling/installing the apps already. 

I am having the same issue, but in the Roku mobile app with the Roku channel.

0 Kudos