Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blenky
Level 7

Roku Steaming Stick+ iPlayer app and World Cup UHD trials

The iPlayer app on the Roku+ has been included in previous BBC iPlayer UHD trials.  However its not on the approved list for the upcoming World Cup matches that will all be steamed live in UHD HLG via the iPlayer app.

Does anyone know why this is?  I would have thought the Roku+ would be capable as it has been on previous trials.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku+ iPlayer app and World Cup UHD trials

While currently, there is only one Roku device with "+" in the name, the Roku Streaming Stick+, there are two in the US currently, and there have been others in the past. So, when you say "Roku+" are we to assume you are referring to the "Roku Streaming Stick+" and not the discontinued Premiere+ or another device?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
blenky
Level 7

Re: Roku+ iPlayer app and World Cup UHD trials

I'm in the UK and referring to the Roku Streaming Stick+.  
0 Kudos
Grand_Total
Level 7

Re: Roku Steaming Stick+ iPlayer app and World Cup UHD trials

"blenky" wrote:
The iPlayer app on the Roku+ has been included in previous BBC iPlayer UHD trials.  However its not on the approved list for the upcoming World Cup matches that will all be steamed live in UHD HLG via the iPlayer app.

Does anyone know why this is?  I would have thought the Roku+ would be capable as it has been on previous trials.

I saw a list of hardware compatible with the UHD trial, it included the Roku 3800. I also note that the current hardware offered for sale in the UK (and elsewhere) is the Roku 3810. Perhaps that means that the currently available hardware is not included.
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Grand Total" wrote:
[...
I saw a list of hardware compatible with the UHD trial, it included the Roku 3800. I also note that the current hardware offered for sale in the UK (and elsewhere) is the Roku 3810. Perhaps that means that the currently available hardware is not included.

The 3800 is the Roku Streaming Stick, and is not a 4K device. The 3810 is the Roku Streaming Stick+ and is a 4K device.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Grand_Total
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"Grand Total" wrote:
[...

The 3800 is the Roku Streaming Stick, and is not a 4K device. The 3810 is the Roku Streaming Stick+ and is a 4K device.

I suspect you are confusing the 3800 a 4K device and the 3600 Streaming Stick, which is not.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Grand Total" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:

I suspect you are confusing the 3800 a 4K device and the 3600 Streaming Stick, which is not.

No. The 3800, like the 3600, is HD, but not 4K.

The 3600 Streaming Stick was introduced in April 2016 and supports 1080p. It was replaced in the lineup by the 3800 Streaming Stick in October 2017. The 3800 is also 1080p. The 3800 is not sold in the UK, where OP is located.

In October 2017, Roku added the 3810 Steaming Stick+ to the lineup. It supports 4K. The 3810 is sold in the UK.

If you have a Streaming Stick+, go to Settings > System > About. Look at the model number.

Or, go to the Amazon.com UK page for the Streaming Stick+ https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CZYYPGR
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Grand_Total
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:

Yes, you are correct, I either misread or mis-remembered. 

It appears the BBC has two lists of compatible devices for their UHD trials. One for on-demand streams which includes the Roku 3810 and another for live streams which does not include the Roku 3810.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Grand Total" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:

Yes, you are correct, I either misread or mis-remembered. 

It appears the BBC has two lists of compatible devices for their UHD trials. One for on-demand streams which includes the Roku 3810 and another for live streams which does not include the Roku 3810.

The Live Stream list doesn't include any Roku devices, from what I can see. Of course, there are many devices on one list that's not in the other. I'm not sure what kind of technical or legal/rights issues there may be with that. Not having a 4K TV, I couldn't speak as to how well the Roku works with live content. Then, again, I don't know of any live 4K content in the US. Most OTA broadcasts are 720. I haven't had cable or satellite in so long, I have no idea what that landcape is like.

Here's hoping an acceptable solution is found while the Roku isn't approved for the 4K live stream.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos