Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phantoms
Binge Watcher

Roku Search says movie/show is free but it isn't

More and more lately, the Roku Search shows a movie or show as free, I click on it and it installs the app for that channel only to find out the movie or show has no free version, only paid.

I use to count on this description to keep from constantly installing apps before knowing if I had to pay to watch something, but now it makes Roku Search useless unless you want to constantly be installing and then removing apps after finding out it lied to you.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Search says movie/show is free but it isn't

You should give feedback directly to Roku CS:  

chat/email:     https://support.roku.com/contactus    (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@phantoms 

Would you give some specific examples? That will make it easier to confirm, research, and resolve.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
tnt0617

I have an example. I have the movie Dave in my watch list. I'm "following" it on Roku. It said its currently available to watch for free. When I click on it, the only options are to pay to rent it. No free options at all. 

0 Kudos
tnt0617

The Way Way Back is another one. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@tnt0617

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify where you are seeing that those titles are shown as free? Can you provide a screenshot so we can better understand what you are seeing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bortsor

I have constantly had this issue. Was searching to see if anyone else shared it. Right now I have both Body Snatchers (1993) and Happy Birthday to Me (1981) saying they are available for free, when that is not the case according to Roku's own results. This renders the entire "Follow on Roku" option utterly useless.

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

@bortsor wrote:

I have constantly had this issue. Was searching to see if anyone else shared it. Right now I have both Body Snatchers (1993) and Happy Birthday to Me (1981) saying they are available for free, when that is not the case according to Roku's own results. This renders the entire "Follow on Roku" option utterly useless.

I don't see Body Snatchers (1993) or Happy Birthday to Me (1981) showing up as free to watch.

Personally I never found that Follow on Roku feature to be any good. You are better off searching for the content, then don't clear the search history if it is something you want to check for in the future.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@demsd  I don’t see it for free either. I usually go to JustWatch and try to find what I’m looking for 

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

If you don't have a voice remote, you might consider investing in one.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos