Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neptune1
Level 7

Roku Screen flashes when changing screens with either Apps or Settings

Hi, 

This just started yesterday. We have a Samsung smart tv with 57 inch screen. We have been using the Roku Ultra box for the last 6 months on this tv and this issue just started yesterday. 

When we are on the Roku screen and change apps, such as changing to Pluto, or Prime Video, etc, the screen flashes to black for a couple of seconds. This also happens when we go into Roku settings. 

We have tried resetting the box, the tv, changing cables but nothing has helped. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Screen flashes when changing screens with either Apps or Settings

Look in the Roku settings under Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced display settings. Look and see if Auto-adjust display refresh rate is on. If so, turn it off and the flashing may go away. 

Refresh rate matching is something that can improve video playback when the video is being sent at a refresh rate that differs from what the TV/Roku is set to. In most cases, the Roku will connect to the TV at 60 Hz, sometimes referred to as the frame rate. If the video being watched is being sent at 24 or 30 Hz (and sometimes it's actually a fractional number) the TV or the Roku has to reprocess the image to display at 60 Hz. If it is instead sent at its native frame rate, the picture is usually smoother. 

Why did the setting change? No idea, but it's worth checking. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
neptune1
Level 7

Hello and thank you for responding. 

Actually we tried that several times but it did not help. What is very strange is that it does the flash everytime you move within the Roku screens. Even when you go to settings it flashes each time you move the arrow buttons. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, that is certainly a different issue. I wouldn't expect it to matter, but you might try a different HDMI cable. Also, some users that have different sorts of issues have found success by changing either the theme or the screensaver (or both). Sometimes what sound like a screwy suggestion actually works. Such are the workings within the Roku OS. Smiley Very Happy

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
neptune1
Level 7

we tried switching the HDMI and the screen saver I turned off but still having same issue. Im starting to think it could be some setting in the tv but have tried several settings but nada. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @neptune1

Looks like you're getting a lot of help from our Streaming Expert here.

Let me just add this up. Have you also tried the troubleshooting below: 

1. Connecting the Roku player to a different input on the TV.
  2. Connecting the Roku player to a different television to see if the problem is with your Roku player or the TV.

If so and the issue persists, please reply here with the serial number of your Roku Ultra. It can be located by navigating to Settings > System > About

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@neptune1 

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About) - this matters because different Ultra models have different capabilities (and different bugs).

You also didnt mention the model # or firmware version of your Samsung TV, which can also impact behavior (when did your TV's firmware last update?)

In addition to what @atc98092  or @RokuKariza-D already suggested, If your Ultra is a model 4800 connected to an HDR model Samsung TV:

1)  Disable "HDR Always On":  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display setting/HDR Always on=off

2)  Change HDR subsampling:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display setting/HDR subsampling=4:2:0 or 4:2:2

3) Manually configure display:  Settings/Display type/4K TV (or 4K HDR TV, or 4K DV TV, etc)

0 Kudos
neptune1
Level 7

hi Kariza, yes we tried those ideas also but are still having issues. We have another Roku box and we switched it out and are getting the same issue. Since both boxes cause the same issue, sounds like it has to do with our tv settings or something? This is a Samsung smart tv that is only about 5 years old. 

Any other ideas of what to check? thanks for your help

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@neptune1

Thanks for the update.

We would recommend reaching out to the TV manufacturer to report the issue and get help. There might be an issue with your TV and they are the best ones to assist you with that matter. 

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos