Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku Premier + buffering for Netflix

"nolaghost" wrote:
Just an update. 
Wired my Roku and it performs a little better, but I'm still having issues with buffering on Netflix, a couple of times during a movie or a show. When I periodically check connection speed from Roku, it's showing wired Internet connection between 72Mbps and 78Mbps....plenty for HD 1080p.
Next, going to try to borrow an Apple TV from a friend and see if it's any different.

Keep in mind that Netflix will have different servers for different devices. That's not to say an Apple TV would not be a better solution for you, just that it will be different servers. Which ties in with what Dan said earlier.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
nolaghost
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"nolaghost" wrote:
Just an update. 
Wired my Roku and it performs a little better, but I'm still having issues with buffering on Netflix, a couple of times during a movie or a show. When I periodically check connection speed from Roku, it's showing wired Internet connection between 72Mbps and 78Mbps....plenty for HD 1080p.
Next, going to try to borrow an Apple TV from a friend and see if it's any different.

Keep in mind that Netflix will have different servers for different devices. That's not to say an Apple TV would not be a better solution for you, just that it will be different servers. Which ties in with what Dan said earlier.

Makes sense. Makes no difference to me which device I use, as long as it works as it should. Hoping to find a reasonable solution for such a silly problem. Hate to constantly spend money on latest and greatest just to get basics to work.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Have you tried different DNS settings on your router?

Google DNS:
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"jeffrok" wrote:
Have you tried different DNS settings on your router?

What difference would that make for him when he said his wifi choke but hard-wired is fine?
nolaghost wrote:
I used to have this same problem with an older Roku and only wiring it directly to the router fixed the issue.

On second thought, it could not hurt to try a couple of main dns providers:
Google: 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
Cloudfare: 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1
Level 3: 4.4.4.4 or 4.4.2.2
Quad 9: 9.9.9.9 or 149.112.112.112
OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

or run a test through a tool like: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
0 Kudos
ukfigs
Level 7

Similar issue with me, TCL ROKU TV and cannot play Netflix UHD but other channels (prime etc.) play 4k fine. Netflix just gets stuck at 99% or continually buffers. Strong 5G signal, TV shows 90mbps download but Netflix app only shows 21 mbps. Iphone 6s on same 5G network in same location speedtest shows 100 mbps. Netgear AX80 router. Not sure what to try next or who to call (Roku, TCL, Netflix).
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"ukfigs" wrote:
Similar issue with me, TCL ROKU TV and cannot play Netflix UHD but other channels (prime etc.) play 4k fine. Netflix just gets stuck at 99% or continually buffers. Strong 5G signal, TV shows 90mbps download but Netflix app only shows 21 mbps. Iphone 6s on same 5G network in same location speedtest shows 100 mbps. Netgear AX80 router. Not sure what to try next or who to call (Roku, TCL, Netflix).

Any network test app I've ever seen on a Roku never accurately reports Internet speed, including the one built into the Netflix app. Although your difference is rather extreme. However, Netflix 4K never goes above 16 Mbps, and I had seen it reach 4K at just under 10 Mbps, so your connection speed should be fine. I've dropped my Netflix account, so haven't tried it recently. The first recommendation is always to remove the app/channel, reboot the Roku (the TV in your case, not just power off but use the reset function in the menu), then install the channel again. Sometimes that's all it takes. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos